Spacing/planting question for 'Emerald Carpet Manzanita'

fogbelt_steve(9)February 3, 2011

I bought a quarter-flat of "Emerald Carpet Manzanita" at the Nursurey this afternoon and would like a second opinion on how far apart I should space each little plant. The area I want to plant it in is about 2' wide, between a sidewalk and the south side of my house and about 10' in length. The area currently has a gravel "mulch". I also would like to know if it will be ok to leave the gravel in place.

From what I understand, the plant will get about 1' tall and can get 6' wide when mature. How much space should I leave between each little plant?

Thank you for your help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Emerald Carpet Manzanita

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Guess maybe you have already planted this by now :-) While it does spread nicely, it is not the fastest growing plant and if you have a number already (quarter flat = 4 or 5 plants?), I'd just space them out so they are evenly distributed throughout the area to be covered (and not necessarily in a straight line).

FWIW, spacing of groundcovers has no hard and fast rules. Closer spacing typically results in faster coverage but with woody, evergreen plants some crowding may occur. One can always trim, however. More distant spacing just means one has to wait longer for the same effect but it will happen eventually.

Bookmark   February 11, 2011 at 10:45AM
More Discussions
Groundcover planning for spring
I'm considering planting some groundcover in a bed...
ayimera
Ground Cover for Moist Shade?
Hello, I'm having trouble finding the right plant for...
rwhipple08
Surprising Ajuga Findings and Questions
Just thought I'd share something I discovered about...
MisterLeadFoot_Z9
Advice on transplanting kinnickinick
Hello, I've decided to reduce my slope because it is...
YorkiePooMama
Recommendation for a Simple Groundcover for Rain Garden
We have a "rain garden" out front of our...
cdcd33
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™