is it possible to grow pumpkins in containers?

kawaiineko_gardener(5a)April 1, 2009

I'm new to gardening. I don't plant to grow pumpkins now, as it's too late for me to do so because of where I live. So any information acquired from this post is for FUTURE reference.

As the title asks, is it possible to grow pumpkins in containers? The variety of pumpkin I plan to grow would be a small variety, 4-8 pounds; if possible it would be a variety of pumpkin that is a bush type or compact type.

I have some very basic questions and here are the questions:

*Can you grow small pumpkins in a container? If so what size container? (specify this information in gallons please)

How many plants would you plant per container?

*Do you have to train the vines of a pumpkin on trellis? Again this applies to small, 4-to-8 pound varieties of pumpkins. If you do have to use a trellis, where would you put it in relation to the container (behind it, to the side of it, etc.) When I ask if you have to train a pumpkin to climb a trellis, this is for either bush types, compact types, and/or a small traditional vining variety. If you do you have to train the vines to climb a trellis, how would you go about doing so? I have no experience with growing any type of plant that has a vine, and/or climbs; I also have never grown any type of veggie in the squash family.

*If you have to train a pumpkin to climb a trellis, then would you stake the vines of the pumpkin like you would a tomato?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
uncron1(z6 OH)

I also grew this squash from a 5 gallon pot.
You have to water them everyday though.

Here is a link that might be useful: squash from a pot

Bookmark   April 3, 2009 at 3:32PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jessicavanderhoff(7 Md)

I tried to grow small pie pumpkins in a 5 gallon bucket and failed miserably. So, whatever size you need, it's bigger than 5 gallons!! Maybe closer to 20 or 30 gallons-- like those big rubbermaid bins.

Bookmark   May 1, 2009 at 2:47PM
More Discussions
Fresh -dried Ugu(Fluted Pumkin leaves,pods,and seeds available
I have ample supplies of ugu leaves and seeds for sale.Please...
cliff-brazil
Using a Hot House cover to keep away bugs
HI All, I have been trying to grow pumpkins here for...
jokuehn
Palav Kadoo
Cucurbita moschata 'Palav Kadoo' was developed in central...
acorneti
Argentine Primitive
Who sells or swaps seed of Cucurbita maxima 'Argentine...
acorneti
Nadym pink
C. maxima 'Nadym pink' (Np) is as a sibbling of Nadym...
acorneti
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™