Zone Denial for Cortaderia 'Pumila'......

gardenlady48(z5 IL)March 19, 2006

Is there anyone out there growing this grass in zone 5? We live in central Illinois. There is a woman that grows it in a protected corner of her house. I just have to have this one and wondering who has success in zone 5???

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
deep_roots(5a IN)

We have one known clump that has survived in our county. It is located in town, close to the warm South wall of a busy pizza restaurant out of harsh winds. It only grows 3' to 4' including plumes. Note though that we have had unusually warm winters recently. Also, out in the country, I can not keep it alive. Even a local nursery who offered it for retail out of their fields has discontinued sales. Unless you are willing to provide special unnatural conditions, you are up for a challenge. Remember to verify that you get Pumilla and not some of the more temperature sensitive Cortaderia.

Bookmark   March 20, 2006 at 11:19PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grass_lover(z5a IA)

It's not Pumila but it's zone denial for Cortaderia. :) I bought pink pampas seeds on ebay in 2004. Over-wintered it in a shed it's first winter and left it in the ground it's second. Uncovered it March 27th and since then I've found a new shoot (that must have been coming up when it was covered-- it was about 3inches high and almost white when I found it) and two of the old cut ones are greening. Our lowest temp last winter was -5 but there were also nights of -4 and -1. I hope it'll be strong enough to plume this year and isn't just barely holding on. ---If it plumes it'll be for the first time. I'm crossing my fingers!!! :)

Bookmark   April 4, 2006 at 6:18PM
More Discussions
have: variegated "peppermint stick" giant reed grass / arundo do
I have many rhizomes I can trade. This one seems to...
risinsun
What type of ornnamental grass is this? Pruning Needed?
1. Curious as to what exact type of Fountain Grass...
bretthickman
established Pampus grass dead
hi, about 7 years ago i planted Pampas grass, and it...
bella81762
Looking for ornamental grass
Would like to start some ornamental grass plugs or...
mkkram
How to maintain this ornemental grass
We have quite a few of these ornamental grasses at...
bgaviator
Sponsored Products
David Bromstad "Azul" Artwork
Grandin Road
Blue White Stained Glass Tiffany Style Ceiling Lamp
ParrotUncle
Gel Memory Foam 7-Zone Mattress Topper
Grandin Road
Ergohuman Executive Chair With Headrest in Black
$624.00 | LexMod
Artemide | Droplet Ceiling Light
YLighting