Zone Denial for Cortaderia 'Pumila'......

gardenlady48(z5 IL)March 19, 2006

Is there anyone out there growing this grass in zone 5? We live in central Illinois. There is a woman that grows it in a protected corner of her house. I just have to have this one and wondering who has success in zone 5???

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
deep_roots(5a IN)

We have one known clump that has survived in our county. It is located in town, close to the warm South wall of a busy pizza restaurant out of harsh winds. It only grows 3' to 4' including plumes. Note though that we have had unusually warm winters recently. Also, out in the country, I can not keep it alive. Even a local nursery who offered it for retail out of their fields has discontinued sales. Unless you are willing to provide special unnatural conditions, you are up for a challenge. Remember to verify that you get Pumilla and not some of the more temperature sensitive Cortaderia.

Bookmark   March 20, 2006 at 11:19PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grass_lover(z5a IA)

It's not Pumila but it's zone denial for Cortaderia. :) I bought pink pampas seeds on ebay in 2004. Over-wintered it in a shed it's first winter and left it in the ground it's second. Uncovered it March 27th and since then I've found a new shoot (that must have been coming up when it was covered-- it was about 3inches high and almost white when I found it) and two of the old cut ones are greening. Our lowest temp last winter was -5 but there were also nights of -4 and -1. I hope it'll be strong enough to plume this year and isn't just barely holding on. ---If it plumes it'll be for the first time. I'm crossing my fingers!!! :)

Bookmark   April 4, 2006 at 6:18PM
More Discussions
Miscanthus blight?
A few months ago I got some Miscanthis Hinjo at Lowes...
summer99
Splitting my Maiden Grass
I plan on splitting my grass in the spring. When is...
purpleshovel
type of grass?
This is such a pretty grass. Everyone asks what it...
bunky
established Pampus grass dead
hi, about 7 years ago i planted Pampas grass, and it...
bella81762
The reddest Panicum virgatum
I would like to add one of those Panicum virgatums...
wannabeGardnr
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™