Mountain Pink question

greenthumbs10(z5NY)March 31, 2008

Hello and (finally) Happy Spring! Just yesterday I sheared back my mountain pink . . . couldn't stand the raggedy looking clumps any longer. Then I sorted out anything that looked green, made little bunches, planted back in the soil and watered. My question is . . . will these still flower for me this season or did I blow it? I didn't see any flowers on the plants yet and it is still cold here (in the 40's) so I'm hoping that the flowers will still set on the old plants and that the new plants will get roots and catch on. Is this the correct time to prune these plants or would I be better off doing it after they finish blooming? Thanks! Donna

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HerbLady49(Z6 PA)

Hi Donna, Your mountain pinks(Phlox subulata)will always look burnt from the winter. They will green up and flower in the spring. It's best not to prune them unless they have outgrown their boundaries. Whatever you didn't prune will flower, because they set their buds the previous year.

Bookmark   March 31, 2008 at 10:24AM
lwells400_gmail_com

do these get planted in the shade--- they are so pretty and my walk is sun in the am and shade around noon but some are also under some sycamores thanks lynn

Bookmark   May 2, 2011 at 3:34PM
wagneroil_yahoo_com

mountain pink isnt turning green most looks brown and dying end of may other areas are flowering what should one do prune back ? see if they are going to green up pull out and plant new??

Bookmark   May 28, 2011 at 5:11PM
More Discussions
Advice on transplanting kinnickinick
Hello, I've decided to reduce my slope because it is...
YorkiePooMama
replacing sod with Dwarf Jasmine
My septic mound is currently covered with Dwarf Jasmine...
dseeds
Ajuga Reptans Mahogany
I planted a couple of flats of this last summer. I...
misterleadfoot_z9
Clover in place of grass
(Cross posted from drought) Can anyone tell me if these...
rosemint
Sponsored Products
Sweet JoJo Designs 200 Thread Count Ballerina Bedding Collection Cotton Sheet Se
Overstock.com
AICO Furniture - Windsor Court Eastern King Mansion Bed in Vintage...
Great Furniture Deal
Espresso One-Light Ceramic Vase Table Lamp
$158.95 | Bellacor
2-Pc. White Ruffle Planter
$26.99 | Dot & Bo
Surya 22 in. Round Cotton Pouf - Maroon Multicolor - POUF-90
$159.60 | Hayneedle
David Bromstad "Out of the Woods" Artwork
Grandin Road
Masiero Lighting | Dropop PL90 Ceiling Light
$825.00 | YLighting
Pink Hat Large Personalized Cosmetic Bag