groundcovers around pond

kaysbelle(z5IL)March 20, 2008

I have a small pond 7' across with a water fall. I am looking for groundcovers that are not invasive and require little maintenance to put around the pond. These would not be in a bog setting but in regular, amemded soil. Any suggetions for zone 5, perenials preferably, would be appreciated. (I am looking for a lot of color and bold statements.)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kaysbelle(z5IL)

I should mention - this area is in full sun over half of the day - shaded from sunrise to 10:00 a.m. and 4:00 to sunset.

Bookmark   March 20, 2008 at 9:55AM
bullthistle

Two perennials that make statements are Lupine, broad range of colors and Coreopsis, both which like sun and good drainage. Lupine like a slightly acidic soil.

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating Perennials

Bookmark   March 21, 2008 at 11:10AM
bobbygil(7)

I have Mazus around my pond and it even creeps in a little. Not invasive at all and it flowers either white or purple.

Bookmark   March 23, 2008 at 12:17PM
Tony_C(z5Michigan)

I've used Creeping Thyme and Irish moss around my pond in Michigan, with some sucess. The thyme carries small red/purple flowers most of the summer and the Irish moss (it's not a true moss) has small white flowers on vivid green (almost moss-like vegitation). I grew mine from seed, because I had a large area to fill. That takes a little effort and patience, but worth the wait.

Regards, Tony

Bookmark   April 13, 2008 at 8:35AM
cayuga2008(zone 5)

I would love to have your quandry! Sounds beautiful! How about hostas in various shades in the shady area and astilbe in the sunnier areas. How about caladium also (but will have to be dug up in fall).

Bookmark   April 22, 2008 at 11:06AM
More Discussions
Walnut Shell as ground cover alternative
does anyone have any experience of crushed walnut shells...
SCinCulverCity
Need Advice. Flowering Groundcovers and Moisture
Friend is redoing an entrance way to an apartment...
alexis717_df
Is my dymondia dying?
I have dymondia in a roughly 12' x 12' area with a...
sheckylovejoy
replacing sod with Dwarf Jasmine
My septic mound is currently covered with Dwarf Jasmine...
dseeds
Mini Brass Buttons in Shade
I'm hoping to hear from anyone that has had experience...
bveronico
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™