Low maintenance groundcover for sunny spot?

bobby_c(z7 DC)March 9, 2014

I have a sunny spot in front of some low spreading roses that used to be grass. I took the grass out a few years ago and planted a bunch of creeping thyme - it looked great for a couple of years. Last year it mostly died out and was taken over by weeds, I'm going to take that all out and replant something.

Any suggestions on something that doesn't need much maintenance?

Thanks!
Bob

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buttercupia(zone4 IA)

Hi, Bob,
I have a couple of ideas for you if there is still time (you haven't already done something else). Creeping phlox is a very hardy drought tolerant groundcover for sun. If your soil is on the dry and well drained side, it would edge your beds quite nicely, and it does spread, is semi evergreen, and puts on a great show in spring of solid color. It gets 4 to 6 inches tall and comes in white, blue and pink of various shades. Another couple of suggestions .. one is a bit invasive.. it is snow in summer, or cerastium tomentosum which has small fuzzy leaves and white flowers in spring. I haven't grown it, but it is quite hardy and spreads easily as I understand. Another one but which is taller, but might work for you is hardy basket of gold, (perennial Alyssum) Comes in a bright clear yellow flower in spring and after blooming goes to its fuzzy light sea green leaves for the rest of the year. It gets around a foot tall, so may be too tall for youl
Another good bet might be one of the ground cover veronica varieties,. One called Tidal pool is lovely and very fast spreading. About 3-4 inches tall, I think, and another is Georgia Blue and another is Sperry's blue.. All of them seem to love sun and spread very quickly and well. they all have blue flowers in spring. The foliage on Tidal pool is more quick to green up in spring and has tiny flowers. Check them out! Sure there are others, but these are a few that I know of.

Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 6:25PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
raee_gw

I second the creeping veronica, also there is Adriatic Bellflower which is very similar. I have them both and they do very well here without being noxious.

Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 6:37PM
More Discussions
at a loss on good ground cover...
I would like a ground cover to fill in the rest of...
bgaviator
Mini Brass Buttons in Shade
I'm hoping to hear from anyone that has had experience...
bveronico
Baltic Ivy on stone wall
We have a stone house and think it would look really...
justeen_bonsai
Advice on transplanting kinnickinick
Hello, I've decided to reduce my slope because it is...
YorkiePooMama
Dichondra - next to lawn, grow from seed, watering needs
Hello, I want to change the subject of the posting...
kwoksmusic
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™