Cutting back dwarf mondo grass

Gardener_KS(zone 5 KS)March 20, 2005

I've had a few patches of dwarf black mondo grass made it through several winters now, and they are gradually spreading. I've never cut it back before, but the blanched blades look pretty bad. Would cutting it back hurt it? Would it be good for it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
youreit

Yes, you should mow or shear back any shabby stuff before spring growth begins. :)

Brenda

Bookmark   March 21, 2005 at 11:42AM
Gardener_KS(zone 5 KS)

Thanks, Brenda. Had to chuckle about the mowing part. We're talking little patches. Will get them sheared right away.

Bookmark   March 21, 2005 at 12:51PM
cheerpeople

Gardener,
I'm thinking about getting black mondo grass but I don't know anybody who has tried it here. I'm zone 5a. Are you 5 a or b? Is yours in a microclimate area or just out in the open exposed to the full blast of winter's wrath?
Karen

Bookmark   May 4, 2005 at 4:10PM
badart(z5 Il)

Hello ...
I am on the edge of Zones 5A, and 5B, and I have had Black Mondo growing for five years now.
It doesn't do all that well in Zone 5.
I have it in an area that is pretty well sheltered from winds, and it gets a good leaf covering every fall. I added more humus to the soil, which seemed to help.
The light is filtered.
Still, it doesn't spread well, if at all.
I thought I had lost it completely this year, but found two small clumps had survived once more. I have to give it credit, it looks better this year than it has in the past three.

The Japanese Forest Grasses in the same planted area are thriving, as are the Arum.
Richard

Bookmark   June 16, 2006 at 11:17PM
garden4510(z7 north GA)

One very significant difference between Mondo and Liriope is cut-back time. Typically the word has always been cut back Liriope every February here in the South, and never cut back Mondo at all. But sometimes Mondo gets ragged-looking and needs a haircut. Just wait until May or early June instead of giving Mondo a dormant-season haircut. It will respond quickly with a re-flush and only look bad for a little while. If you cut it back with Liriope in winter it will look like death-warmed-over until May or early June anyway.

Bookmark   July 1, 2006 at 5:37PM
More Discussions
have: variegated "peppermint stick" giant reed grass / arundo do
I have many rhizomes I can trade. This one seems to...
risinsun
Hakonechloa All Gold looking rough
I have an area of my yard that stays pretty well shaded...
mayflower537
Can anyone ID the plant
I saw a beautiful grass outside a mall. Does anyone...
Chipeony
Purple Majesty Millet from seed?
I grew Purple Magesty Millet for the first time this...
treemedic
Carex Comans 'Frosty Curls' turning brown yellow
I have searched a bit on this subject and have not...
ersh
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™