Unwanted grass growing with my Zebra grass

Downeastmd(7bMd)March 20, 2005

Since I have cut back my og is there a secret to keeping unwanted grasses from growing within my Zebra grass? I was thinking there could be something to use to deter unwanted grass from growing with my Zebras. Paul

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
BruMeta(z5aNY)

You have to get the roots of the invader out of the Zebrinus clump. If you cannot pull or tease them out, then you must dig out the clump and remove them that way. This should not effect Zebra's performance this season, especially if new growth has not yet emerged. If you do this, keep the plant watered (moist), treating it as though you have divided it.

There is a more drastic measure: systemic herbicide, but ONLY if the Zebrinus is still dormant. I do not recommend it, but it can be done carefully by "painting" the blades of the invader with the herbicide.

Bookmark   March 22, 2005 at 10:32AM
BruMeta(z5aNY)

Perhaps I didn't read your post closely enough. Is it that you want to DETER this from happening? You may as well try to deter the weather, but if you rid the area, through regular maintenance, of unwanted (usually lawn or weed) grasses, they won't flower, seed and invade. A thick mulch in the area of the Zebrinus will help.

Bookmark   March 22, 2005 at 10:40AM
Downeastmd(7bMd)

Actually the unwanted grass is already present in the zebra,I guess since I have already cut it down, now would be the time to dig it up and pick out as much as I can. Thanks for your help Brumeta.

Bookmark   March 22, 2005 at 10:10PM
More Discussions
Beach grasses great online/cataloge companies
We need to landscape our home in a beach community...
dis2cruise
Link to picture of grasses?
Does anyone know a link where I can see what kind of...
tiver43809
Best time to cut grasses back in my zone 9
I recently moved to the San Francisco Peninsula Zone...
kmoodymz3
Maiden grass
Is maiden grass too invasive to be nearby a septic...
nancy0852
Pink Muhly Grass Doesn't Bloom
I have 2 pink muhly grass plants. They are about 3...
AnnP603
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™