advice on shady area with light traffic ..?

FlizMarch 13, 2013

Hey everyone,
I am not an experienced gardener by any means so I'm hoping you can all share your knowledge and provide some suggestions.

I live in central fl and have a small yard that sits under a big live oak, it is mostly shady but it does get about an hour or so of light. I'd like some sort of grass or groundcover that can take light traffic. (no dogs or kids here)

I was considering dwarf mondo grass, but my only concern is that I've read is invasive and like I said I have almost no experience gardening so not sure what it needs or if I should try to stick with native groundcovers.

Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dowlinggram

The nicest ground cover I know of for shady areas is Golden Creeping Jenny Moneywort. It's bright yellow green leaves really pop in the shade. It does have insignificant tiny yellow flowers in spring but is grown mostly for it's bright leaves. It grows low to the ground and doesn't kill easily. Like most groundcovers it is a fast grower but it is shallowly rooted so all you need for control is to pull up and or break off what you don't want or if it creeps where you don't want it. No shovel or tools needed

Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 5:57PM
More Discussions
Dichondra - next to lawn, grow from seed, watering needs
Hello, I want to change the subject of the posting...
kwoksmusic
Advice on transplanting kinnickinick
Hello, I've decided to reduce my slope because it is...
YorkiePooMama
veronica repens 'sunshine'
I am confused on this one. Hopefully someone that is...
kennym_2010
replacing sod with Dwarf Jasmine
My septic mound is currently covered with Dwarf Jasmine...
dseeds
Walnut Shell as ground cover alternative
does anyone have any experience of crushed walnut shells...
SCinCulverCity
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™