Long blooming?

Ibanez540rApril 26, 2012

Is there something similar to creeping phlox that blooms throughout the season or close to?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
freki(5a)

rock cress - Aubrieta cultorum

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 1:07AM
gardengal48

None of the aubrietas will bloom for much longer than the phlox - all are considered to be mid to late spring bloomers.

FWIW, most perennial groundcovers will have a relatively limited bloom season - that is just the nature of perennials. They bloom for a couple weeks to a couple of months and then are done for the season. Annuals - with that biological urge to reproduce within the growing season - are generally the only plants with a season-long flowering period.

If you want a growing-season-long bloom period, you may have to consider a sequential assortment of flowering groundcovers. If you provide your location and sun conditions, perhaps we can get more specific.

And while it is not exactly considered a groundcover, the hardy geranium 'Rozanne' grows virtually throughout the US and in both sun and light shade and is recognized as having a very long bloom season. But it is more of a sprawling perennial than a true groundcover.

Here is a link that might be useful: Geranium Rozanne

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 3:41PM
mistascott(7A VA)

Green & Gold (Chrysogonum virginianum) is one of the few long-blooming groundcovers though it hardly resembles phlox (yellow flowers) and it doesn't form a carpet of flowers like phlox. Blue Star Creeper (Isotoma fluviatilis) also produces (rather small) flowers for an extended period. Lithodora has a decent bloom period too -- spring into early summer. Plumbago resembles phlox but blooms late in the season so it makes a nice complement to creeping phlox.

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 10:14AM
juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl

Verbena Sissinghurst is the ticket! I planted this in my former Zone 6 garden and it was a reliable perennial and bloomer year after year. Drought tolerant too. You've got to like bright pink, however, because this variety comes only in pink.

There are numerous other varieties of ground cover verbena that come in other colors (in the blue, pink, red, white part of the rainbow) but in my experience, Sissinghurst is at the top of the list. No mildew, mites, etc. which I've encountered with other varieties.

June

Here is a link that might be useful: Verbena Sissinghurst

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 8:30PM
More Discussions
Mini Brass Buttons in Shade
I'm hoping to hear from anyone that has had experience...
bveronico
Dymondia Dying
Hello, A little over a week ago I purchased a bunch...
naveenreddy_la
Recommendation for a Simple Groundcover for Rain Garden
We have a "rain garden" out front of our...
cdcd33
Need to remove creeping juniper
Dear friends, HELP! My house is surrounded by creeping...
murray_dog
Adding Groundcovers to a mulched garden?
I am looking at adding some groundcovers to my gardens...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™