Need ideas for Ornamental Squash

hydrangea_gal(6aNJ)May 20, 2007

I have a front garden near the road and since my entire yard is shade except for this strip in the front, I want to put ornamental yet edible squash plants in there and use the leaves as a pretty greenery. I know how out of control squash can become, I grew it every year before we moved here, and while I find it attractive, it can become big and out of control quickly. Any idea or pictures of edible ornamental squash where the leaves are actually pretty? Any hints would be HUGELY apreciated.

Stacy

NJ6

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
macmex

Well, many of the c. mixta species (like Cushaws) have rather pretty leaves, with silver patterns on them. Take a look at Sandhill Preservation Center's squash listing, which I will put below). Most any c. mixta will have this kind of leaf. Some moschatas will also. You could even call Sandhill Preservation or e-mail with your question. I'd recommend calling. Most squash with this kind of leaf will have rampant vines. You'll probably speak with Linda Drowns. She may have to consult with her husband, Glenn. But he'll know, for sure, what would do well for you.

Sandhill Preservation Center - (563) 246-2299

George
Tahleqauah, OK

Bookmark   May 22, 2007 at 10:50AM
More Discussions
Blue Gyroscope
Cucurbita maxima 'Blue Gyroscope' is a cross with mother...
acorneti
Nadym pink
C. maxima 'Nadym pink' (Np) is as a sibbling of Nadym...
acorneti
Palav Kadoo
Cucurbita moschata 'Palav Kadoo' was developed in central...
acorneti
More phloem for more transportation of assimilates
http://environment.harvard.edu/news/faculty-news/biggest-ever-fruit-world-0 Here...
acorneti
This year's winter squash winners and losers
This year I tried the following C Maxima squashes....
tcstoehr
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™