Ajuga vs Vinca Minor

JoyBee(6)April 6, 2013

Hi, I have been working to create a perennial garden in the small front yard of my row home. The yard is approximately 12x12 and gets a combination of full sun and shade.

So far I have planted a couple of evergreen shrubs, salvia, cornflower, peonies, hostas, irises and bulbs. I am looking for a fast growing, evergreen ground cover to both fill in the spaces between plants and provide some interest in the winter when the other plants have died back.

I have been looking at Ajuga and Vinca Minor as two possibilities but I am open to other suggestions as well. Which do you prefer?

Should I be concerned that either of these ground covers would "choke out" my existing plants?

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Vinca is a shade groundcover. Won't be happy in much sun - grows slowly and gets very chlorotic. Ajuga prefers some shade also but can tolerate a sunny position if adequately moist. But both can be pretty aggressive and that is a very small space that you already have a good many other plants in.

You don't indicate where you are located or what zone you are in but there are a number of spreading perennials that would serve your purpose yet not spread aggressively or smother/overgrow other plants. Not all of these will work in all zones but research and see what you like and what may work for you. Most are evergreen. And they are often planted as edging plants in perennial borders, with larger growing perennials, shrubs, etc. behind them. A few of these and some mulch and your soil should be adequately covered and offer a presentable look in winter.

Helianthemum nummularia - Sunrose
Iberis sempervirens - Candytuft
Cerastium tomentosum - Snow in Summer
Stachys byzantina - Lamb's ear
Veronica peduncularis 'Georgia Blue' - creeping veronica
Abrieta deltoides - Rockcress
Thymus citriodorus - Lime thyme
heaths and heathers
Lithodora diffusa

Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 5:19PM
More Discussions
Need help with a ground cover grass that is fast growing
I'm looking for some input on what kind of wild grass...
broguearcher
Ground Cover for Moist Shade?
Hello, I'm having trouble finding the right plant for...
rwhipple08
Dymondia Dying
Hello, A little over a week ago I purchased a bunch...
naveenreddy_la
Where to buy Pachysandra?
Hi All, I need some Pachysandra, does anyone know if...
walksindarkness
Walnut Shell as ground cover alternative
does anyone have any experience of crushed walnut shells...
SCinCulverCity
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™