Transplanting English Ivy

mspringer(5)April 13, 2005

I've just come across someone at my work who is trying to remove his bed of English Ivy and I just happen to be in the market for ground cover.

Can someone tell me the best way to romove and plant English Ivy?

Is it just using a shovel to take the top 2" or so of dirt and then shake most of the dirt off to get the relative bareroot of the plant?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
creatrix(z7 VA)

Keep a bit of the dirt. Or bare root, it doesn't matter. It won't do much this year, next year it will grow a bit, and three years from now you'll have plenty to pass along. I usually recommend one of the smaller ivys, variegated, they're slower and easier to control.

Bookmark   April 13, 2005 at 8:36PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Stellinate(5 OH)

When I put english ivy in, it was under similar circumstances. A friend was tired of it and so gave it to me, pulled up rather unmercifully, and packed to me in plastic grocery sacks. You will not get the long vines to lay down well so I weighted the pieces down here and there with rocks and bricks and then watered it very well for a few weeks. The stuff was very tolerant. Prepare your bed so that the tiny roots can get to the dirt, keep it watered and in touch with the soil several places, and the ivy will do the rest. (you really don't have to dig out your coworkers bed - just pull pull pull)
I agree with the above post. It won't do much this year or next (if it remains green, you have been succesful). Time will take care of it and everything nearby will be covered in ivy in a few short years.

Bookmark   April 22, 2005 at 9:05PM
More Discussions
Recommendation for a Simple Groundcover for Rain Garden
We have a "rain garden" out front of our...
cdcd33
ICE PLANT???
Is anyone else ready for spring? Thanks for viewing....
halocline
Advice on transplanting kinnickinick
Hello, I've decided to reduce my slope because it is...
YorkiePooMama
Ground Cover for Moist Shade?
Hello, I'm having trouble finding the right plant for...
rwhipple08
Sponsored Products
Blue Three-Piece Gardening Tool Set
$8.99 | zulily
Prairie Leisure Aspen Wood Garden Buddy Potting Bench - 97-SAGE
$219.30 | Hayneedle
Children's Garden Tool Set
$14.99 | zulily
Brook and Hunter Hand Tool Trowel with Chain Multicolor - 14010-T
$49.95 | Hayneedle
Farmers Garden Kit
$14.99 | zulily