Daylily blooms

KaraLynn(z9 FL, Inverness, Citrus)May 13, 2013

Here's a couple daylilys that are currently blooming in my garden.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
KaraLynn(z9 FL, Inverness, Citrus)

And another.

Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 1:00PM
juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl

Both are so pretty. Thanks for posting the pictures.

P.S. If we were voting, I'd go for #2 (even though the double is very striking). Isn't it nice to be able to enjoy both!

Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 6:06PM
cocoabeachlorax

Gorgeous. Would you please tell me what you know about daylilies ? What conditions do they like ? What do they not tolerate ? TLC for them ? I just adore them and want to add more to my garden.

Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 7:31PM

I don't do much for my daylilies. Mine are growing in full sun and get watered a couple times a week this time of year. Some of the plants I've bought, others were given to me. The double comes from a defunct daylily farm up in alabama that is near where a friend's family lives. When she is visiting family she tries to stop by there and dig up some of the daylilies that have naturalized to the area. The second one I bought at a road side fruit stand down in Tampa a couple years ago.

I think that the trick to growing daylilies down here is to make sure you get ones that are acclimated to the area. I don't usually buy daylilies from big box stores. I prefer to get them from fellow gardeners or from private nurseries.

Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 8:37PM
katkin_gw

Day lilies come in decideous, semi and evergreen. The evergreen do best here in Fl. Still if I come across one I haven't got I will buy it and treat it like an annual, meaning I expect it to die in a year, maybe two.

I find them pretty easy, but some afternoon shade can't hurt. They get water 2x's a week and fertilizer with the rest of the garden a couple of times a year.

Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 7:09AM

Here's another picture.

Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 11:36AM
cocoabeachlorax

Oh that last picture is just gorgeous !

Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 8:15PM

That one is up there on my list of favorites but I like this one the most of all my daylilies.

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 8:29AM
aharriedmom(8B FL Sunset 28)

I love the daylilies. Yours are beautiful. I was recently given two overflowing pots of Stella d'Oro (which need to find an inground home); they are pretty common here, but with good reason. I also bought a few different varieties on clearance, which probably won't flower again this year, as well as having last year's bulbs popping up.

Here's one that I picked up at a yard sale last year. It never flowered last year, so I didn't know what I would get, but I like it.

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 8:52AM

That is a beautiful red daylily!

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 11:37AM
TheTradition(9b)

I have no idea what variety this is. It was growing in my yard when I bought my house. I have been happily dividing and propagating this plant all over my yard ever since.

Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 7:45PM
More Discussions
Miami/CoralGables ... 10b meet
Good morning everyone, I just saw Silvia//Oakland/9b...
alexcortez
Winter Tomatoes in Miami Florida
I am planning to torture the northern gardeners with...
garf_gw
Thinking of planting azaleas
So I went for it and ripped out the ugly bushes in...
Debo214
Mexican Flame Vine
It is conceivable that I've asked this question here...
wisconsitom
Planting Spices
Hey folks, I was doing a bit of google searching, which...
silver4490
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™