Rubus - Creeping Raspberry

jcwise(z6b TN)April 8, 2005

Does anyone have experience with Rubus - Creeping Raspberry? (positive or negative)

I am looking for a ground cover for a steep hill on the northside of my house, and this has been suggested. Can it be successfully contained?

Thanks,

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
CaseysMom

Neat looking plant~
It is not aggressive either.

Bookmark   April 8, 2005 at 10:06PM
gardengal48

Creeping rubus is one of my favorite groundcovers for a smei-shade location. Evergreen, layers densely so is an effective weed supressing GC, and easily managed. I have never found it to be overly aggressive. Plus it turns an attractive bronze color in winter.

Bookmark   April 9, 2005 at 9:48AM
Jasper_Storm(z8 SnoCo,WA)

Which rubus, i.e. Rubus _ _ _ _ _ _ ?

Bookmark   April 11, 2005 at 10:24PM
Amillerzone5

I planted Rubus calycnoides - Creeping Raspberry, I didn't find this one aggressive at all, in fact would have perferred it to be a little more than what it is. Hoping the 2nd year will be a little better.

Bookmark   April 13, 2005 at 7:31AM
Kathy Bochonko

It was just awarded Georgia Gold Medal for groundcover, and written up in the paper here, I have been hearing lots of possitives, although I confess the pots I saw were not impressive looking. I may still try some as I need something to hold the base of a nasty slope that keeps washing away.

Bookmark   April 13, 2005 at 9:33PM
hbwright(z7bSC)

A little late to reply but hopefully you're still keeping track. I planted some last spring to fill in a small area that I wanted to break up and couldn't think of anything to do with. I also put in gaura siskiyou pink and the combo is great. The raspberry spreads readily and roots onto the ground but is so easily managed. It grows up to the edge of the landscape and stops where the edge is with regular lawn upkeep (mowing and weedeating, edging). The rest of it is growing along the ground in the perennial bed and not choking anything out. Looks great with everything.

Bookmark   April 26, 2005 at 11:49AM
hemnancy(z8 PNW)

I have it in full sun around some Mugho pines. It has spread well but doesn't totally block out weed grasses from invading. I'm thinking I could cover it in winter to shade out the grass and it would be fine in spring but haven't tried it yet.

Bookmark   April 27, 2005 at 12:05AM
kathy_naturescape

I am just learning about this plant and have read that is produces an edible raspberry and other readings say it doesn't. Can anyone tell me based on their experience with this plant, is it a plant that can produce edible berries.

Bookmark   April 22, 2009 at 10:59PM
hemnancy(z8 PNW)

Yes, it is edible, but not as flavorful as a regular raspberry. Mine doesn't fruit much but I recently saw one planted in a parking lot strip that was just covered with berries. I don't know if the difference is varieties or just more water and fertilizer in the parking lot one, since I don't water mine- it is very tough.

Bookmark   August 13, 2011 at 11:23PM
More Discussions
Recommendation for a Simple Groundcover for Rain Garden
We have a "rain garden" out front of our...
cdcd33
Need to remove creeping juniper
Dear friends, HELP! My house is surrounded by creeping...
murray_dog
Surprising Ajuga Findings and Questions
Just thought I'd share something I discovered about...
MisterLeadFoot_Z9
Walnut Shell as ground cover alternative
does anyone have any experience of crushed walnut shells...
SCinCulverCity
Alternatives To Decorative Bark Or Rock Ground Cover
Hey Have a small area I need to fill in & would...
dethcheez
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™