In need of a suggestion....
So, I've got that itch to start working on a new area of the yard. One of my new Montmorencies didn't make it, and the other is looking rough, so .... I need to plant something somewhere else in the yard to help me get over it!
I'm all out of ideas. The perfect plant I want right now would have the following constraints:
- Not a yew or holly (incl. inkberry and winterberry!)
- Good shape habit without excessive pruning
- Full shade to partial shade
- Vigorous grower, gets to full size in 2-3 years)
- 3.5' to 4.5' tall and wide (4' is perfect)
- Dark leaves preferred, but willing to go light or variegated
- Soil in this area is amended clay, area drains moderately well
- Near a water hose, so it will take some occasional impact
Suggestions for something weird or uncommon, like, say ... Hebes ... are welcome, assuming you can tell me where to find them locally ;)
Suggestions for something like rhododendrons or viburnums are OK also, assuming they truly are 'evergreen' and not just 'mostly winter hardy' (at this location 'defoliation surprises' won't be welcome)
Plants that we won't consider because we already have them or do not really like them: Holly, Yew, Boxwood, Barberry, Juniper, Nandina
I wanted to go with a banana shrub, but it will get too big for this location!