Mulch or Lava rock?

iliketreesApril 22, 2013

I am preparing to do some landscaping around the house. I would like to use either black lava rock or black mulch and am looking for pros and cons of using both. Obviously the rock is more expensive but I won't need to change it every year. I plan on using fabric underneath and wondering how each will perform with weeds. This is my first landscaping project so I appreciate any help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cearbhaill

Don't use fabric.
And don't use rocks.

I would use only mulch- it degrades and nourishes the earth, it keeps moisture in the soil, and helps keep roots cool.
Plus when you refresh it every year or so it makes everything look all new again.
Rocks, once put down, are forever and someday somehow you will want them gone and be unable to gather them all up. You'll be forced to hire neighborhood kids for a penny a rock.
They just become unsightly and bake everything underneath.
As far as the fabric there are varying viewpoints but I do not find that it suppresses weeds all that well (birds still drop seeds that germinate on top) and there is evidence that it disrupts gas exchange and beneficial soil organisms. Roots need air.

Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 10:59AM
gardengal48

Second that!! I agree with everything in the previous post - no rocks, no weed cloth. Both create a lot more work than they prevent.

Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 3:45PM
ken_mce(zone 4, NY)

Dirt drifts into the rocks and then you get weeds growing in it anyhow. Mulch feeds the soil, is easy to work through.

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 8:19PM
edlincoln(6A)

Rock would probably be better at blocking weeds, but wouldn't black rock get awfully hot in the summer, and cook the plants?

Bookmark   June 23, 2013 at 1:45AM
More Discussions
Walnut Shell as ground cover alternative
does anyone have any experience of crushed walnut shells...
SCinCulverCity
Ground Cover for Moist Shade?
Hello, I'm having trouble finding the right plant for...
rwhipple08
Miniature clover, anyone try it?
I just heard about it. They claim you can even replace...
Emerogork2
Baltic Ivy on stone wall
We have a stone house and think it would look really...
justeen_bonsai
Replacing groundcover
What (preferably flowering) groundcover would stay...
gcotterl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™