Should I replant?

tcstoehrMay 7, 2010

About 5 weeks ago I started some Sibley, Sweet Meat, Butternut and Delicata squashes in 4" pots in my small heated green house. It wasn't long before they were ready to transplant and so I did while the weather was warm. Well, since that time the weather has been persistently cool and showery and the plants are not happy at all. They are growing but very slowly and look a bit pitiful. Very much like you would expect them to look like when the daytime highs do not exceed 53 degrees. Should I start them over? Or will they grow to normal size with the upcoming warm season? I know they are stunted, but will that have any permanent effect? If time wasn't an issue I would restart them, but the growing season is barely enough to ripen these guys.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
macmex

Sorry I didn't get to this before now! I suspect you already have your answer.

I would have said to leave them. Both c. maxima and c. pepo, which include all the squash mentioned above, have the ability to bounce back when conditions become favorable. Hopefully, by now, conditions there are better and they are growing!

George
Tahlequah, OK

Bookmark   May 21, 2010 at 10:30AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tcstoehr

Thanks, macmex. The Sibleys and Delicatas looked pretty sad so I restarted them. I left the Sweet Meat and Sucrine du Berry and they seem to be hanging on marginally. The summer squashes, patty pan and a zuke, look pretty darn good all things considered.
You would think weather would have improved by now, but it hasn't. Possibly soon though.

Bookmark   May 27, 2010 at 2:55PM
More Discussions
Palav Kadoo
Cucurbita moschata 'Palav Kadoo' was developed in central...
acorneti
Blue Gyroscope
Cucurbita maxima 'Blue Gyroscope' is a cross with mother...
acorneti
Fresh -dried Ugu(Fluted Pumkin leaves,pods,and seeds available
I have ample supplies of ugu leaves and seeds for sale.Please...
cliff-brazil
wanted: seeds from a large pumpkin
My daughter would like to grow a giant pumpkin next...
hosta_miser
Will this ever result in an actual pumpkin?
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie. I experimented with planting...
stephiepoopy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™