Cutting Carex question

wherewerewe(z7 NC Triad)April 3, 2006

Just picked up a few clumps of Bronco Carex...they are kinda limped over to one side, and wondered if they would benefit from being trimmed back like most grasses...fountain, maiden, etc.

Thx =)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donn_(7b-8a)

They might. You can trim them back, although not as far as things like Miscanthus and Pennisetum. They don't like to be closely shorn, just to 4-5" will probably be enough. They'll grow back a bit thicker, but will still be a cascading grass. In a wind-free environment, the ideal form is to cascade uniformly, all the way around. In wind, they will obviously blow one way or another.

Bookmark   April 3, 2006 at 6:48AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wherewerewe(z7 NC Triad)

Thanks for the tip donn....for some reason, the responses aren't being forarded to my email account even though I checked on the option. I'm going to have to look into that.

Perhaps I'll leave it alone since it'll revert to its natural tendency...it still looks nice as is.

I'm looking forward to incorporating it into my gardens...it's such a cool color. I have a bunch of 'Curly Top' Leatherleaf carex, similar to the Bronco, yet they seem more dwarf and upright. I plan to use the Broncos in front of a neat sign my sister-in-law gave me as a Christmas gift as a nice accent to a flower garden entrance. I'lll try to post a pic once I catch up to the real world of internet technology.

take care & thx again

Bookmark   April 4, 2006 at 12:07AM
More Discussions
Maiden grass
Is maiden grass too invasive to be nearby a septic...
nancy0852
Beach grasses great online/cataloge companies
We need to landscape our home in a beach community...
dis2cruise
Plant identification
Could anyone identify what this grass name is
nancy0852
established Pampus grass dead
hi, about 7 years ago i planted Pampas grass, and it...
bella81762
Propagation of Nassella laevissima "Golden Hair Grass" from seed?
I posted on this plant back on July 8 in the "Growing...
mark4321_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™