To Tall Autumn Joy Sedum

plantzman(z7 MD)April 22, 2005

I have very healthy Autumn JOy and it is now entering its third season. The problem is that last year it is grew so tall that it fell over from weight of the blossoms. A local lanscaper suggested that once they getup to about 12-14 " I should cut them back down a bit. She said they would continue to grow but not as tall.Has any one tried that or experienced heavy Sedum blossoms making the plant fall over.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MariposaTraicionera(7)

I just got back from chatting with a friend about this same plant and she suggested I cut mine back. This is the second year we have it and I'm a little hesitant to go chopping it down. Would love to hear what others have to say.

Bookmark   April 22, 2005 at 4:44PM
creatrix(z7 VA)

Yes it will work. Same for chrysanthemums that get floppy- just don't trim it after July 4th or so, let it make blooms!

Bookmark   April 22, 2005 at 7:57PM
MariposaTraicionera(7)

Is it okay to cut back the chrysanthemums now? I hadn't thought of that. I'm always afraid to cut my plants for fear of killing them. No wonder mine are all tall and willowy.

I did cut back my Sedum. Thanks.

Bookmark   April 23, 2005 at 12:55AM
sarge724(z7 VA)

Here in Stafford, VA, if I want my chrysanthemums to be mounded instead of sprawling, up until mid-August we cut them back to about 6" high every time they get about 9-12" high. Otherwise they get too leggy. After mid-August let them go. Of course this could vary with different varieties of mums and also the micro-climate you have them in. Mine only get sun from noon forward. I use a manual hedge clipper but my next door neighbor uses a weed whacker (string trimmer).

Bookmark   April 25, 2005 at 9:43AM
chinacat_sunflower(7)

:) round here they die back to the crown every winter, so they're always putting out 'new' growth, so I've never had to worry about them flopping...

however, I break off half a dozen of the 'stems' from around the base of the plant every spring, and root them. that's why I, my mom, and my MiL all have nice clumps ;)

Bookmark   April 25, 2005 at 3:02PM
kimpa(z6b PA)

I just cut back one of my sedums that will flop. Did it last year and it worked! Also, I read that they flop because the soil is too rich. So it may be a good idea not to fertilize them.

Bookmark   May 1, 2005 at 7:52AM
dorry2

My Autumn Joy were devoured by the deer. Never had a problem with sedum in previous home...and I thought this was one plant they rarely ate.

Bookmark   May 16, 2005 at 8:17PM
More Discussions
Miniature clover, anyone try it?
I just heard about it. They claim you can even replace...
Emerogork2
Walnut Shell as ground cover alternative
does anyone have any experience of crushed walnut shells...
SCinCulverCity
Adding Groundcovers to a mulched garden?
I am looking at adding some groundcovers to my gardens...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
Need Advice. Flowering Groundcovers and Moisture
Friend is redoing an entrance way to an apartment...
alexis717_df
Baltic Ivy on stone wall
We have a stone house and think it would look really...
justeen_bonsai
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™