Cut back or comb 'Elijah Blue' fescue?

zuzus_petals(Pacific NW)April 9, 2006

I've got some brown foliage from the winter -- which is the best method for removing it, cutting back or combing?

If combing is recommended, how do you do that -- with a little rake or something (sorry, I'm a newbie)?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donn_(7b-8a)

I cut back my Blue Fescue, at least once a year, a couple of weeks ago. Sometimes, I'll also give them a trim if they get ratty looking after a hot summer.

Bookmark   April 9, 2006 at 9:27AM
achnatherum(z4or3 Ontario)

Since your grass probably came through the winter in pretty good shape I would say that you could get away with just knocking off the brown ends. For some of my tougher evergreen (blue) grasses I just tidy them up using a serrated kitchen knife. Using a motion the reverse of 'teasing your hair' you can reduce the size of the grass, knock off all the 'dead ends' and end up with something looking more natural than a 'brush cut'. Of course, as donn says, cutting back is an option too. Often my fescues get a radical hair-cut at this time of the year courtesy of the bunny rabbits. It never seems to hurt them.

Bookmark   April 9, 2006 at 9:32PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

I comb mine with my hands.

Bookmark   April 29, 2006 at 6:48PM
pezhead

I also simply comb with fingers slightly pinching as I pull and repeat until the fellas look better. Heliotrichon is similar. You pull a few green ones with the brown from time to time but not to worry!

Bookmark   April 30, 2006 at 12:50AM
blackie57(z5 NY Broome Co)

I gave mine a haircut for the first time this year, they were looking a bit ratty and brown so they got the buzz cut..we'll see how they come back. Keep your fingers crossed.

Blackie

Bookmark   May 3, 2006 at 10:01AM
More Discussions
established Pampus grass dead
hi, about 7 years ago i planted Pampas grass, and it...
bella81762
Propagation of Nassella laevissima "Golden Hair Grass" from seed?
I posted on this plant back on July 8 in the "Growing...
mark4321_gw
Hakonechloa All Gold looking rough
I have an area of my yard that stays pretty well shaded...
mayflower537
Miscanthus blight?
A few months ago I got some Miscanthis Hinjo at Lowes...
summer99
Purple Majesty Millet from seed?
I grew Purple Magesty Millet for the first time this...
treemedic
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™