Early season squash results - Delicata, Butternut, Trombetta

markmeinMay 13, 2009

I've had some squash starts outside and in the ground for several weeks now. I started the seed indoors in coir pots, hardened them, and planted them. I planted the coir pots in the ground to avoid disturbing the seedling roots. I sliced the bottom of each pot before starting the seed so the roots would have an easier time passing through.

Under a cloche I have vining Butternut and Delicata, elsewhere (uncovered) I have a Trombetta. Our weather has not been particularly warm, or cold.

After several weeks the Delicata seem to be taking off. There are multiple leaves, and the vining seems about to take off. The Butternut is not doing as well. It hasn't grown as much and the leaves shown some signs of damage. The Trombetta hasn't grown even less, with it's leaves a bit yellowed.

I'm thinking that the Butternut and Trombetta will get going once we get warmer, sunnier weather. The Delicata seems to be anything but, in comparison to the other two.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tcstoehr

"Early season results". For this part of the world, you ain't kidding. I moved my squashes from the cold frame to the garden around May 1st. We had a light frost on May 8th. Most of my little squashes look pretty unhappy, but not bad, all things considered. The extras that were left in the cold frame look much better. I'm sure the increasing temperatures will help them all out.

Bookmark   May 18, 2009 at 12:08PM
markmein

The delicata are still out-growing the butternut, but one of the butternut has perked up and started growing well. The other butternut is in a SE corner of a vegetable bed and might not be getting as much sun. The trombetta is perking up too after I harvested some adjacent greens that might have been casting shade. I'm thinking that once the trombetta and the pokey butternut get onto the trellis or out of the bed and onto the path, respectively, they'll do fine.

My Lesson: Squash need sunshine, I think.

Bookmark   May 20, 2009 at 2:05PM
booberry85(5)

"Early season results?" Mine are all doing fine in their seed packets! ROFL! We just had our last frost warning (I hope) Monday night. I won't plant out until this coming weekend or next weekend.

Bookmark   May 20, 2009 at 7:01PM
albionwood(USDA 9/10, Sunset 17)

pdxmark, have you checked soil temperatures? I've noticed that has a profound effect on growth rates of summer vegetables.

Bookmark   May 21, 2009 at 11:10PM
cyrus_gardner(8)

"Early season results"?
Hi Y'all,

I have been enjoying my squash (striped zuchinnies) for a week now. My first scallopini squash will be ready in a day or two.(they are both bush type and nicely compact)
So will be cucumbers, any day. My gourds (Luffa, swan, birdhouse...) have vines over 12 ft long and have just started flowering.

All of this is happening where considered zone 7.5(not quite 8), while Portland Oregan is zone 8 and you guys are still babying those little Squakies (Grin). I do not understand this zoning thing.

By the way, I have direct sowed all of my cucurbitas, no greenhouse, no cold frame, no indoors, no peat pots.
Our last frost scare was on/around April 10th. I had to cover them then otherwize they could've been zapped.

Bookmark   May 25, 2009 at 3:11AM
markmein

With this latest warm weather the delicata and butternut both have 6-12 nice, full-sized leaves and are heading toward vining. One butternut is behind the delicata & the other butternut, but the slow one is in a bit of a shadow at the edge of the raised bed and is now getting up above the lip.) Likewise, the trombetta is getting up above the edge of its raised bed and adjacent greens.

Now to get the english cucumber I put in the ground a couple weeks ago up above its neighboring cilantro. (Actually, I'll be harvesting the cilantro this weekend since it is starting to bolt.) I'm looking forward to another batch of cilantro pesto.

Bookmark   May 28, 2009 at 5:12PM
markmein

We've eaten the trombetta a couple ways now -- grilled and sauteed. They taste great, with hints of traditional zucchini, but have a denser, drier, pulpier texture (in a good way) than regular zukes. Trombetta are a keeper so far.

Bookmark   July 7, 2009 at 8:17PM
plainolebill(z8 OR)

Googled Trombetta and got this thread - when I searched Garden Web earlier this didn't show up. Oh well. I'm happy to hear that the Trombetta grows in Portland, I live in Corvallis and have the seed sitting right in front of me.

I understand that this squash when mature is a winter squash like butternut, can anyone confirm that? If so we may plant several and let one go without harvesting until fall.

We're munching on kale, using upland cress and chervil to supplement our salads and have a dozen or so heads of garlic left from last summer's crop.

Have a great garden season!

Bookmark   March 28, 2011 at 3:57AM
More Discussions
Indoor Pumpkin Plant
Here is my pumpkin plant fully grown indoors with its...
gregplantaine7
Is There A Black Pumpkin?
I'll say up front I'm fairly sure the answer is "No,...
Edymnion
'Jutras Apple' Winter Squash
We have selected many Cucurbita maxima ''Turk' Turban''...
acorneti
Using a Hot House cover to keep away bugs
HI All, I have been trying to grow pumpkins here for...
jokuehn
Please help ID the problem
This year my kabocha bears 5 fruits but one by one,...
otcay
Sponsored Products
Ship's Wheel Mirror
$17.99 | zulily
Mason Chandelier by Hudson Valley Lighting
$1,498.00 | Lumens
angelo:HOME Mercer Table Lamp - Smoke Glass - 8517-TL
$118.00 | Hayneedle
Carriage House Collection 12 1/2" High Outdoor Wall Light
$78.00 | Lamps Plus
ECR4KIDS Wooden Tunnels and Arches Building Blocks - Set of 20 - ELR-0333
$81.12 | Hayneedle
Yosemite Home Decor Queenie AP Antique Pewter Frame Ceiling Fan Light Kit with A
Home Depot
Yosemite Home Decor 24 in. Ceiling Fan Extension Downrod Dark Brown 24DRDB
$18.00 | Home Depot
Brown Floral Room Darkening Grommet Panel - Set of Two
$59.99 | zulily
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™