sharp?

sue_in_nova_scotiaApril 3, 2006

I accidently posted on the gallery (heheehe)...I was thinking about growing some miscanthus..maybe zebrus...near the back door and I was wondering first of all...is it sharp, will people cut themselves on it walking by? Also how large a clump will miscanthus make and is it invasive?

Thanks, Susan.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donn_(7b-8a)

In your zone, Miscanthus sinensis 'Zebrinus' will probably reach 5' tall (the foliage) by 5' wide. It isn't invasive, but will require staking as it ages, as it is quite lax. The only way someone could cut themselves, is if they tried, by grabbing a mature leaf and sliding their hand along it.

Bookmark   April 3, 2006 at 2:04PM
sue_in_nova_scotia

Thank you Donn for your answer...I will definately get some OG this summer...Not positive on location yet but I will fit it in somewhere :)

Bookmark   April 4, 2006 at 6:00PM
BruMeta(z5aNY)

There are two other yellow-banded grasses that are similar to M.s.'Zebrinus:' 'Strictus,' which grows more upright, a bit taller and less lax; and 'Hinjo,' more compact than 'Zebrinus,' less lax and more strongly banded than either 'Strictus' or 'Zebrinus.' 'Hinjo' is hard to find, but any of these will make a handsome specimen. Notes: all require full sun; are late to show their yellow bands (usually early June for me in 5a); and will take at least three summers to reach their mature sizes.

Bookmark   April 6, 2006 at 12:21PM
More Discussions
What type of ornnamental grass is this? Pruning Needed?
1. Curious as to what exact type of Fountain Grass...
bretthickman
Maiden grass
Is maiden grass too invasive to be nearby a septic...
nancy0852
Propagation of Nassella laevissima "Golden Hair Grass" from seed?
I posted on this plant back on July 8 in the "Growing...
mark4321_gw
Looking for Pink Muhly grass
Hi Guys, Popped in to see if anyone had pink muhly...
bri_fl
Plant identification
Could anyone identify what this grass name is
nancy0852
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™