How to plant pampas grass?

cjcsac(z6 ky)April 13, 2005

I am planning to plant some pampas grass near a patio to help block the view of the street. I was wondering how far apart to plant them, how deep to plant them. I have 2 plants that were given to me by a friend. They are about 3-4 years old and I am going to add some new ones from a garden center. Can anyone give me some info on the grass. I am a very new gardener, and need to be educated!! Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
AgastacheMan(z7 CA)

First of all, make sure your permanent planting position for the pampas grass is at least 6-7 feet from the patio. As for planting them, if they are in a pot to begin with, plant the grass to the original depth it was planted in, meaning don't bury the crown of the plant. If unsure, plant the grass a little high, and then apply some light mulch around the base( I mean light, don't volcano it). Plant them between 5-7 feet apart, assuming they are the common C. selloana and not the dwarf "Pumila".

Bookmark   April 18, 2005 at 12:41PM
cjcsac(z6 ky)

thank you very much. I hope this works, my patio is so open to the neighborhood. I think its a good soultion, hope I sprout a green thumb!

Bookmark   April 19, 2005 at 9:02AM
roseyoung

Pampas Grass is just beautiful. I lived in southern Illinois until 2 years ago I missed my beautiful pampas grass so much i was always going to it touching the leaves. I took such good care of it and always cut it back in March so wild animals could take harbor in it during winter storms. I moved to upstate new york 2 years ago and just last week I bought a large pot of pampas grass that I hope will thrive in my yard like my other one did. I still miss it .. it was like a baby to me. please don't laugh.

Bookmark   June 29, 2008 at 12:35PM
grass_guy

I know how you feel about grass foliage. Something about it really captivates doesn't it.

I'd be surprised though if you had true pampas grass, cortaderia sp. It wouldn't likely have been hardy in your area. I definitely don't think you'd find it surviving in upstate new york. Sometimes other species of cascading grasses are generically called pampas grass.

Very good point about waiting until spring to cut back. Winter grasses do provide for animals and birds during winter months.

Bookmark   June 30, 2008 at 9:04PM
sandra_sbarry9_wanadoo_co_uk

I HAVE A PAMPAS GRASS IN MY FRONT GARDEN BUT IT DOESNT LOOK VERY HEALTHY WHAT CAN I DO TO IT TO MAKE IT GROW AND LOOK HAPPY I CAN SEE A LITTLE BIT OF GREEN UNDERNEATH THE BROWN DEAD LOOKING FOLIAGE DO YOU THINK ITS STILL ALIVE

Bookmark   April 6, 2011 at 7:32AM
donn_(7b-8a)

Sandra...cut it back to just above any new shoots of foliage. If it isn't in a full sun (6-8 hours per day), move it.

Bookmark   April 6, 2011 at 7:44AM
More Discussions
Maiden grass
Is maiden grass too invasive to be nearby a septic...
nancy0852
Propagation of Nassella laevissima "Golden Hair Grass" from seed?
I posted on this plant back on July 8 in the "Growing...
mark4321_gw
have: variegated "peppermint stick" giant reed grass / arundo do
I have many rhizomes I can trade. This one seems to...
risinsun
Splitting my Maiden Grass
I plan on splitting my grass in the spring. When is...
purpleshovel
Looking for ornamental grass
Would like to start some ornamental grass plugs or...
mkkram
Sponsored Products
Bunny Williams Decorative Faux Green Apples
Ballard Designs
Pre-owned Birdseye Maple Display Pedestal
Chairish
Allium Grass
$635.00 | Horchow
Impressionist's Wreath - 24" dia.
$49.50 | FRONTGATE
Rose Nosegay Bouquet
$399.00 | FRONTGATE