Growing Gourds in Pots & Birdhouses in Windy Area

Phoof(WA State)May 21, 2005

Hi!

I'm new to this forum AND to growing gourds.

My questions:

1. Can I successfully grow gourds in a large pot? I will have a fence and portable, heavy duty, wooden A-shaped ladder trellises for support as soon as my peas are harvested. I want to use the pots because we have pretty soggy ground conditions in the spring.

2. I want to hang some gourd birdhouses under a roof eave on my husband's shop, but strong winds whistle across our prairie land frequently and I was wondering if folks have trouble with birds rejecting the birdhouses because of the swinging and swaying of the house in the wind.

Any help will be fully appreciated :)

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lillie1441(b3 TX)

I tried growing gourds in large pots last year and they didn't do anything.However,I have seen posts of others that grew them on pots with success.So I guess the best way to find out is just do it.LOL
I don't know about the bird house thing.I would think there wouldn't be much difference in a swinging bird house and a swinging tree branch.LOL Birds will build their nests in strange places.I guess you could hang it with wire and tighten it up close to the eave so it doesn't swing quite as much...............Lillie

Bookmark   May 23, 2005 at 12:55AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Phoof(WA State)

Lillie,
Thanks for taking the time to post a reply.
I am still trying the pots for now, though this spring is WET and cold and I planted late. Sigh.
I'm going to hang two gourd birdhouses today to see if any of our swallows use them. I have them on a clothes hanger hook so they may do fine. I've also thought of attaching one of my husband's heavy fishing sinkers for weight on the bottom. We'll see :)
Kathy

Bookmark   May 23, 2005 at 1:26PM
More Discussions
'Jutras Apple' Winter Squash
We have selected many Cucurbita maxima ''Turk' Turban''...
acorneti
Can't decide what to plant, help!
Ok, so we are a squash loving household. As in grew...
beesneeds
Kirbs Bjela Woda
In 2014 I created my first squash and pumpkins for...
acorneti
Fresh -dried Ugu(Fluted Pumkin leaves,pods,and seeds available
I have ample supplies of ugu leaves and seeds for sale.Please...
cliff-brazil
This year's winter squash winners and losers
This year I tried the following C Maxima squashes....
tcstoehr
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™