What to plant for groundcover on Long Island?

deejavu(z7 NY)April 26, 2005

Hi all,

I live on Long Island and 3 years ago I had a tall retaining wall put around the front of my house because I was losing soil as my house is on a hill.

Now the soil is sloping to the point where it is really difficult to mow and I want to get rid of the grass and plant something that flowers the entire summer.

I was thinking of a trailing Rose like Seafoam, so this way the roses would fall over the the wall. But the area is so large and I don't have much money.

Does anyone have any ideas? Could I use those Seafoam Trailing Roses and put Hosta's in between them?

I really have a brown thumb when it comes to gardening, darn!!!

Thanks for any advice,

Denise

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chinacat_sunflower(7)

I don't think hostas would be any cheaper- the clumps grow fairly slowly (most of them only make one new 'eye' a year, it can take a decade for a clump to double in size) wheras the ground cover roses tend to root along the way, and the next spring, you can go in with a clipper and heavy gloves, and move those 'new' plants to bare areas.

I think the roses would look wonderful...mowing slopes is a right pain in the butt, isn't it?

I'm not sure what color 'seafoam' is, but you might have some luck with daylillies interplanted with the roses- the 'free' ones are orange (around here we call em 'ditch lillies' because that's where we dug them from) but they come in yellows and bronze and well into the pinks.

everyone else is gonna growl at me, but if you're really in a pinch, and looking for something to stop the erosion in its tracks, GoutWeed might be the way to go- though you can call it 'false dead nettles' since 'gout' is just an ugly word. it's a fast-growing groundcover with green and white striped leaves and a cascading habit and rather inconspicuous yellow flowers right about now. the roses would have no problem cohabitating with it (actually, that's where I first met the plant myself) and it spreads like wildfire...which makes it good for an 'impossible' place, and an invasive monster everywhere else.

Bookmark   April 27, 2005 at 9:17AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
julieNY(Long I sland,NY)

Well chinacat I guess 'they' will growl at me too, because I think goutweed - I agree, horrible name - would be a good solution and believe me, here on Long Island it grows almost as you watch it! And it is just so pretty. Ok, Ok I know it's invasive - but isn't that what is wanted in a ground cover in circumstances like Deejavu's?

Bookmark   May 11, 2005 at 7:45PM
More Discussions
Mini Brass Buttons in Shade
I'm hoping to hear from anyone that has had experience...
bveronico
Advice on transplanting kinnickinick
Hello, I've decided to reduce my slope because it is...
YorkiePooMama
Ajuga Reptans Mahogany
I planted a couple of flats of this last summer. I...
misterleadfoot_z9
Need Advice. Flowering Groundcovers and Moisture
Friend is redoing an entrance way to an apartment...
alexis717_df
veronica repens 'sunshine'
I am confused on this one. Hopefully someone that is...
kennym_2010
Sponsored Products
Fine Art Lamps Quadralli 330310ST Two-Light Table Lamp
LuxeDecor
Rust Aztec Double Plant Stand
$16.99 | zulily
Fosters Point Vase With Succulent Boxwood Bamboo
Beyond Stores
Fine Art Lamps A Midsummer Nights Dream 212950ST Wall Sconce
$892.50 | LuxeDecor
Flower Ceramic Box
$21.99 | zulily
Serena & Lily Braided Abaca Rug
Serena & Lily
Jane Seymour Pink & White Roses 15H in. Silk Flower Arrangement - JSB220-PKWH
$200.00 | Hayneedle
Jaipur Coastal Living(R) I-O Wave Hello Coastal Pattern Blue Indoor/ Outdoor Rug
$66.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™