Achnatherum calamagrostis

bellarosa(z5/IL)April 8, 2006

Does anyone grow this grass and if you do, what can you tell me about it? How does it do in hot humid climates?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
achnatherum(z4or3 Ontario)

Wow, a question right up my alley!
I not only grow Achnatherum calamagrostis - it is one of my very favorite grasses! Does just fine here in our humid S.W. Ontario summers. It is an early bloomer with gorgeous flowers and it holds its dried seed heads right on into winter.
It is a slow grower & the only problem I have had is other things seeding into the clump. It is relatively easy to grow from seed but strangely has never self-sown in my garden.
One of those all round grasses, right up there with Calamagrostis 'Karl Foerster'
A.

Bookmark   April 9, 2006 at 9:25PM
deep_roots(5a IN)

Here is a link to Achnatherum calamagrostis.
http://www.bluestem.ca/achnatherum-calamagrostis.htm
If Achnatherum calamagrostis is like other Calamagrostis, then it should be a winner. My Karl Foerester Calamagrostis is always the first of my grasses to green up, while the Daffodils are beginning to bloom. Of all the Calamagrostis arrangements that I've seen, the ones at the former Aurora, Ohio, SeaWorld were my favorites. The tight upgright form lends itself to interesting grid plantings as it holds and defines a landscape pattern well.

Bookmark   April 11, 2006 at 5:17PM
bellarosa(z5/IL)

Thank you both for your advice. I'm glad to hear that AC does well in humid temps. I'm planning on getting it and planting it in front of my burning bushes, which face East on our property line. I'm also planning of adding a row of Karl Forester Calamagrostis to my yard. I love their look.

Bookmark   April 11, 2006 at 11:48PM
achnatherum(z4or3 Ontario)

bellarosa,
possible downside to your planting plan. Achnatherum calamagrostis (not directly related to Calamagrostis sp.) blooms early in the summer,usually before the end of June for me. So, by the time your burning bush turns red this grass will already be in its 'dried seed head' stage. The contrast of beige & fire engine red might look quite nice.
A.
btw, Achnatherum calamagrostis was reclassified from a Stipa spp. ~ it has simlar long awns.

Bookmark   April 12, 2006 at 8:07AM
gmac9970

Hi,

I am thinking of adding Achnatherum calamagrostis to my small garden in center city Philadelphia. I have small fountain and will put the grass around it - probably about a 3' X 6' plot. Must I buy a grown plant or can I grow from seed? If so, how many seeds do I need? How long will it take to grow? I am hoping that I can plant it and have nice tall grass this year.

BTW - I am no gardener. I haven't grown any plant since my 3rd grade class planted a cucumber.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Bookmark   March 10, 2010 at 1:00PM
More Discussions
Pennisetum Advena/Setaceum Rubrum
Hi. I recently fell in love with the above grasses...
kaydarling
Purple Majesty Millet from seed?
I grew Purple Magesty Millet for the first time this...
treemedic
Blue Dune Lyme Grass Seeds
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew a supplier for Blue...
ehunt123
Carex Comans 'Frosty Curls' turning brown yellow
I have searched a bit on this subject and have not...
ersh
How to maintain this ornemental grass
We have quite a few of these ornamental grasses at...
bgaviator
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™