Recommendations for Varieties

MFIXApril 9, 2013

Hey all,

I am planning a border planting around the curved portion of our patio, and I would like to create a multiple species planting of different heights and styles of grasses. Ends would be small, moving up in size to the middle portion, where the tallest would be. I was thinking starting with Elijah Blue Fescue on the edge, maybe moving to a dwarf fountain grass, then to a Feather Reed grass or miscanthus. The plants would need to be planted adjacently, so as to not shade out shorter varieties, and I think this would help create more movement and interest. The area is on the border of part sun-to full sun. It receives ample morning sun, with a bit of shade from about 12-2:30ish, then back to sun for the remainder of the day. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
achnatherum(z4or3 Ontario)

sounds like a good plan. You might choose multiples of the smaller grasses moving up to a single larger grass - might make it more interesting.
a.

Bookmark   April 12, 2013 at 9:47AM
MFIX

I didn't think of that. That would be a great idea. Maybe one really big bluestem or something like that. I'll have to explore. My only problem is that I cant find anything like this in picture form online. Most pictures focus on grasses integrated into a mixed perennial planting. Along a curve to our front door we have the blue fescue, dwarf bunny grass and dianthus as a border. I wanted to tie this into that style, but with only grasses. I'll have to continue looking.

Bookmark   April 12, 2013 at 11:03AM
donn_(7b-8a)

There are a lot of good "grass-scape" photos at the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bluestem Grass-Scapes

Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 11:05AM
More Discussions
What grass is this??
Hi all, does anybody recognize this grass (the big...
linda21h
Feather Reed Grass for East facing wall
I've been pulling what's left of my hair out over this...
srmacy
Looking for ornamental grass
Would like to start some ornamental grass plugs or...
mkkram
Northwinds planting in Central TX
I am considering planting a dozen or so Northwinds...
jscaldwell
Beach grasses great online/cataloge companies
We need to landscape our home in a beach community...
dis2cruise
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™