Recommendations for Varieties

MFIXApril 9, 2013

Hey all,

I am planning a border planting around the curved portion of our patio, and I would like to create a multiple species planting of different heights and styles of grasses. Ends would be small, moving up in size to the middle portion, where the tallest would be. I was thinking starting with Elijah Blue Fescue on the edge, maybe moving to a dwarf fountain grass, then to a Feather Reed grass or miscanthus. The plants would need to be planted adjacently, so as to not shade out shorter varieties, and I think this would help create more movement and interest. The area is on the border of part sun-to full sun. It receives ample morning sun, with a bit of shade from about 12-2:30ish, then back to sun for the remainder of the day. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
achnatherum(z4or3 Ontario)

sounds like a good plan. You might choose multiples of the smaller grasses moving up to a single larger grass - might make it more interesting.
a.

Bookmark   April 12, 2013 at 9:47AM
MFIX

I didn't think of that. That would be a great idea. Maybe one really big bluestem or something like that. I'll have to explore. My only problem is that I cant find anything like this in picture form online. Most pictures focus on grasses integrated into a mixed perennial planting. Along a curve to our front door we have the blue fescue, dwarf bunny grass and dianthus as a border. I wanted to tie this into that style, but with only grasses. I'll have to continue looking.

Bookmark   April 12, 2013 at 11:03AM
donn_(7b-8a)

There are a lot of good "grass-scape" photos at the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bluestem Grass-Scapes

Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 11:05AM
More Discussions
Best time to cut grasses back in my zone 9
I recently moved to the San Francisco Peninsula Zone...
kmoodymz3
Blue Dune Lyme Grass Seeds
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew a supplier for Blue...
ehunt123
my pink pampas grasses
hello again.........I posted my disaster in the spring...
casagrande
Pink Muhly Grass Doesn't Bloom
I have 2 pink muhly grass plants. They are about 3...
AnnP603
Link to picture of grasses?
Does anyone know a link where I can see what kind of...
tiver43809
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™