Ajuga UGH!!!

valtorrez(6b)April 8, 2010

The house I purchased 2 years ago had ajuga in the front flower bed. It was plentiful and looked nice. Since that time, my ajuga has never grown full and spreaded like everyone says theirs have. What can I do to get it to grow. I'm sort of hating it. I cant weed this area because I cant tell difference from weed and ajuga.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
azzgardengirl

I'm not sure what to tell you, but I'm looking for ajuga reptans. If you have some of that please send some my way. I need for part shady spot under boxwoods. I would love to trade something with you...I have coralbells, lily of the valley, pink/purple coneflowers, blue rockwart, pink soapwart, blackeyed susans, orange daylilies, hostas or ask and maybe I have it. Just let me know what you want.

Bookmark   June 6, 2010 at 11:46PM
laceyvail(6A, WV)

How do you know if you have Ajuga if you can't tell it from the weeds?

Bookmark   June 8, 2010 at 5:57AM
azzgardengirl

Google "Ajuga photos" and compare your plants. Ajuga usually has a purplish tint to its short but wide the leaves.

Bookmark   June 19, 2010 at 5:18AM
susana_2006

I tried several ajugas that I purchased from nurseries and plant departments (Home Depot) -- they had names like Chocolate chip, etc. I never had any luck. I was given ajuga at a local plant swap & it has flourished & rewarded me with a great ground cover and blue flowers in the spring. So I would suggest asking on Craig"s list or on a swap for some really vigorous ajuga -- not the named hybrids that are for sale commercially.

I had the same experience with Mexican evening primrose. The ones I bought withered. At the plant swap I was given some starts from a young woman who says "it's taking over my yard". This one has already bloomed a little and seems to be very happy in its new home.
Good luck.
Susan

Bookmark   July 18, 2010 at 4:43PM
More Discussions
Clover in place of grass
(Cross posted from drought) Can anyone tell me if these...
rosemint
Alternatives To Decorative Bark Or Rock Ground Cover
Hey Have a small area I need to fill in & would...
dethcheez
Need Advice. Flowering Groundcovers and Moisture
Friend is redoing an entrance way to an apartment...
alexis717_df
Mini Brass Buttons in Shade
I'm hoping to hear from anyone that has had experience...
bveronico
Surprising Ajuga Findings and Questions
Just thought I'd share something I discovered about...
MisterLeadFoot_Z9
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™