Next question-Japanese Sedge

swontgirl_z5a(5a)April 12, 2011

Hi,

I planted a Japanese sedge(Carex panache) last year. It looks good although there are some brown leaves on the top. Should I trim these off or cut the whole thing back now? It also has many babies growing around the edges. If I am careful can I try to move some of these? Will they be attached to the roots of the mother plant somehow?

Thanks,

Debbie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donn_(7b-8a)

Carex Panache seems to be a name for Carex morrowii 'aurea-Variegata.' I trim Carex Morrowii back by about 2/3, in fact I just did a bunch of 'Ice Dance' yesterday.

The offsets should be left alone for at least a couple of growing seasons. When they're good and sturdy, and have developed their own root system, you can cut them from the mother plant with a sharp knife, and plant them where you want them. My clump of 'Ice Dance' has them popping up as much as 2' away from the main body of the plants. I usually don't separate them until I'm ready to divide the plant, and do it all at once.

Bookmark   April 12, 2011 at 11:57AM
swontgirl_z5a(5a)

Thanks,
I trimmed it back today and will leave the babies. It is such a cool plant. I am always afraid when I trim something with "fancier" leaves that they will stay looking that way for the season.

Bookmark   April 13, 2011 at 9:25PM
swontgirl_z5a(5a)

I am now getting flowers on my Japanese sedge. At least I think they are flowers. After trimming the foliage, some stems with dark brown things on the top grew. The brown things are opening up to be creamy yellow. Are these flowers and will they make seeds?
Debbie

Bookmark   May 13, 2011 at 5:17PM
donn_(7b-8a)

Yes and yes.

Bookmark   May 13, 2011 at 5:50PM
swontgirl_z5a(5a)

Thanks Don,
It seems kind of a strange time of year for a plant to be doing this. Is this the normal time for that grass?
Debbie

Bookmark   May 14, 2011 at 10:39PM
donn_(7b-8a)

Yes, it's normal. Many Sedges begin blooming in April/May.

Bookmark   May 15, 2011 at 6:32AM
More Discussions
Can anyone ID the plant
I saw a beautiful grass outside a mall. Does anyone...
Chipeony
type of grass?
This is such a pretty grass. Everyone asks what it...
bunky
Splitting my Maiden Grass
I plan on splitting my grass in the spring. When is...
purpleshovel
Link to picture of grasses?
Does anyone know a link where I can see what kind of...
tiver43809
Blue Dune Lyme Grass Seeds
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew a supplier for Blue...
ehunt123
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™