Possible solutions to squash problems

shebear(z8 NCentralTex)June 21, 2008

Lately I've been reading old garden books. I've done this because it appears somewhere things have been forgotten. Maybe because chemicals became more available or maybe just because, but needless to say solutions to problems that don't include chemicals don't seem to be out there.

Take squash bugs.......I don't remember grandpa having problems with squash bugs but for the life of me I can't remember what he did. However, in this old book, I found some things I'm going to try. So this fall I'm planting summer squash and using rows cover until they bloom. Then I'm burying the stems up to where they start to flower. Also I planting nasturiums and radish in with the squash....right next them and up around the base of them. I'll also ring them in french marigolds. And if that doesn't keep the bugs away, I guess I'll buy squash.

Anybody have any other ideas.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shebear(z8 NCentralTex)

I forgot one idea.......misting with imitation vanilla.

Well at least it would smell good.

Bookmark   June 21, 2008 at 1:29AM
farmerdilla

Back in the thirties, folks tried to hold back the squash vine borer by covering the base of the plant at ground level with fresh chicken manure. Still lost the squash plants but it did seem to buy a little time.

Bookmark   June 21, 2008 at 8:44AM
darrelltx

I wonder if the flyer that lays the borer eggs is attracted by the color of the vines. Perhaps someone could try using a red coloring on the bases of the vines and see if those vines get fewer borers.

Some of the more modern articles on dealing with borers suggest wrapping the bottom 10 inches of stem with tin foil as it confuses the flyer with respect to the sun thereby disrupting its egglaying. Another suggestion is to put diatomaceous earth on the base of the vines. Perhaps spraying Bt on the vine base would kill the newly hatched borer as it begins chewing the stem.

Bookmark   June 21, 2008 at 9:31AM
momamamo

Hi! Here's something I read in the Joy of Gardening about trapping squash bugs, not the squash vine borer: at night lay a slightly raised board in the bed, then watch for bugs that congregate there overnight. Maureen

Bookmark   June 21, 2008 at 9:51AM
shebear(z8 NCentralTex)

Thanks for you input. I'll add them to my list of remedies.

Bookmark   June 24, 2008 at 11:09PM
chickenista

You can't go wrong with radishes around your squashes!! I haven't seen a squash bug all year and I probably won't.
I still have the borers though.. you can trap the moths that cause them with a bottle trap with vinegar and water.

Bookmark   July 7, 2008 at 9:49PM
shebear(z8 NCentralTex)

Oh thanks chickenista, I've never heard of the vinegar and water thing.....and I forgot about the radishes. I have about 12 squash seedlings ready to go in so I guess I'll have to find some bottles.

Bookmark   July 7, 2008 at 9:59PM
crossd

..one organic method that works is to place a small piece of wood like half a shingle near the root or any branch and then in the early morning pick it up and turn it over.and you will find the squash bugs that collected there for the nite..they are very sluggish then and will not move..just scrap them into a jar or disposable container..but do not touch them as their odor is extremely foul..then search the under side of nearby leaves for eggs and remove them too..

donc

Bookmark   July 14, 2008 at 8:42AM
More Discussions
Best way to weatherproof birdhouse gourd?
I made some birdhouses from gourds 2 years ago. Made...
sandlady
Will this ever result in an actual pumpkin?
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie. I experimented with planting...
stephiepoopy
Lloyd-ellipsoid
It's hard to grow C. moschata in hardiness Zone 6,...
acorneti
How to ammend soil and seed timing
We live on a rocky hillside in Southern California....
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
Can't decide what to plant, help!
Ok, so we are a squash loving household. As in grew...
beesneeds
Sponsored Products
Utopia 8-ft IC Industrial Channel, 2 x 96W T8, Single Ballast, 120/277V
LBC Lighting
Palermo Corner Chair with Cushions in White Finish, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
VIGO Shower Massage Panel
Overstock.com
Laptilt Desk - Steuart Padwick
$910.00 | HORNE
Burns Ottoman - Key Largo Graphite Brown
Joybird Furniture