Using Waorm Castings and other items in planting holes

Markshep(8a)June 27, 2012

Anyone here use worm castings as fertilizer? I recently saw a farmer on craigslist selling it and plan to buy some for my tomato and pepper plants when I transplant. I figure to use 1 cup or so per hole. Any other reccommendations? I have read about powdered milk, egg shells, epsom salts (which I currently use and plan to use), baking soda, sugar and banana peels. Anyone have luck with any or all or something different? I have about 2 weeks before I will transplant my plants.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ichoudhury(7B)

My recommendation is to checkout the sample and make your decision based on that. Do not make a large purchase the first time and ensure those are screened (I had the hardest time one time keeping up with all the hitchhikers (weeds) because the person didn't screen them well). By the way, I think you can't overdo when you are using organic solution such as worm castings.

(If you were to use about half to your soil mix but use the rest to brew tea and apply them on the plants (using a spray after taking it through strainer), that would be the best case scenario. :)

( To Brew - fill up a 5 Gal bucket, apply two cup worm cast, 2 table spoon molasses and run it 24 hours using a aquarium pump/airstone) - > I used it and ended up with 7-8 feet tall Tomato plants .. still enjoying ... :))

Bookmark   June 27, 2012 at 11:52PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Markshep(8a)

Thank You for the response and tip! I was curious as to hwo much better the worm tea is compared to cow manure tea? Is it that much better?

Bookmark   June 28, 2012 at 6:53PM
More Discussions
have: have: composted horse manure
I have composted horse manure on my farm, looking to...
horsecompost
online peonies
Just ordered some peonies from a California nursery...
raptor1
Where should I plant a fatsia japonica?
Other than, in a milder climate. I've had it in a pot...
esga
Growing on a slope in North Georgia
I live in very N. Georgia. Basically Chattanooga, Tn....
Natdiamond
Insured Tree Removal Cmp recommendations
Is there a good INSURED & reasonable tree removal...
vnginger
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™