Salty Skipper/Bud Bennett Open Garden

juliet11(z7 MD)July 12, 2010

My clump of Salty Skipper (hybridized by Bud Bennett) looked particularly good yesterday so I thought I'd share a photo (it looked much better in real life):

It is not a true pink for me - has a hint of orange to it.

Not quite as many flowers today, but still good:

I visited Bud Bennett's open garden yesterday and it was gorgeous as usual. Here's a couple photos:

Several of you mentioned when I posted photos a few days ago that you wanted Salty Skipper. Mr. Bennett had a large clump of it in his garden, so I asked him if he was planning to divide it soon. He said he was planning to divide it later this summer and hopefully he could get it done in time for our mid-August daylily club sale. But if he isn't able to do it by then, he's just going to save a few fans for himself and compost the rest because it isn't worth it to him to line it out. (He doesn't ship after July 15.) I thought this was a shame and that if any of you would definitely want to order it from him he might be willing to save some for you to ship in the spring. (Unfortunately, his minimum order is $25, but Salty Skipper will probably only cost $5-$10.) So if anyone happens to be interested, you can e-mail me your address and I'll ask him to mail you his price list in the spring.

Juliet

P.S. I wasn't sure if I should post this, but I hate to think of a beautiful daylily getting composted if someone would really want it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Julia NY(6)

What a nice thing your doing Juliet. I hope someone takes you up on the offer as it would be shame to see if composted.

Julia

Bookmark   July 12, 2010 at 2:07PM
katlynn719(8b)

Hi Juliet, Just sent you an email. Loved your pics of Salty Skipper and the Bennett's garden - beautiful! Thanks -
Kathy

Bookmark   July 12, 2010 at 5:01PM
organic_kitten(8)

Juliet,
I love that flower! The picture is beautiful, and I sent you an email.
kay

Bookmark   July 12, 2010 at 5:14PM
uroboros5(Z5 Quebec)

WOW... hard to imagine something looking better than that in Real Life!

Bookmark   July 12, 2010 at 5:18PM
sunny_daze_gardener(5 MI)

Beautiful Salty Skipper and thanks for the garden pictures.

Nancy VB

Bookmark   July 12, 2010 at 7:45PM
olga_6b

I would love to pay and pick up Salty Skipper or any other of his lovely dylilies, if they are available. I live 30 min from his home, so will be able to come whenever he digs them up. I was at the open house this Sunday and was so impressed by his garden and plants.
I don't know how I can communicate this to him, but I certainly would be happy to buy daylilies from his garden.
Olga

Bookmark   July 12, 2010 at 9:24PM
juliet11(z7 MD)

Thanks to everyone who e-mailed me about Salty Skipper. Mr. Bennett is happy to know that so many people like his daylily! You should hear from him soon.

Juliet

Bookmark   July 13, 2010 at 4:47PM
FlowerGardener(Z4 MN)

I also sent you an email message. Salty Skipper is beautiful.

Bookmark   July 13, 2010 at 10:01PM
jean_ar(z8 Ar)

It certainly is a beautiful daylily and his garden is gorgeous.

Jean

Bookmark   July 13, 2010 at 10:38PM
alameda/zone 8

Know this is an old post, but have been looking for Salty Skipper and was wondering if it is being sold anywhere. I have several of Bud's daylilies and really like them.
Judith

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 4:35AM
organic_kitten(8)

Alameda,
Send me a message. I have Salty Skipper, and love it. We may be able to trads, since I really like his daylilies.

kay

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 11:08AM
avedon_gw

Just sent an e-mail to Juliet, and hope to acquire a plant of Salty Skipper. I have always loved the pictures of it posted here, and hope I get lucky. Avedon

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 11:50AM
avedon_gw

Well, I see I had a senior moment--totally missed that this post is four years old. When this went up, I had only had a computer for a month, and I wasn't doing anything about DLS, didn't start until 2011. Too bad, I would love to have have this daylily growing here. Avedon

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 2:21PM
organic_kitten(8)

Keep up with me next year, Avedon, all is not lost. Juliet put me in touch with Bud and I got Salty Skipper from him. As Juliet said it is prettier than the photos show. It multiplies nicely, and I have promised Alameda a start in exchange for for one of her Bennets, but by next year I can probably get you a start.
kay

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 9:10PM
Maryl zone 7a

Salty Skipper is a really pretty one. Hard to imagine how many great daylilies have been tossed when the demands of aging make it impossible to keep up. There was a recent discussion about Mr. Bennet because someone posted a beautiful picture of Wild Cherry Wine. That post along with this one makes me wish that his daylilies had been more widely available. This one along with Wild Cherry Wine are both dormants and after last winter I am much more interested in nice looking dormant daylilies. I hope you get it Avedon and keep his achievmentst going............Maryl

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 10:01PM
More Discussions
Curt Hanson daylilies
This took me some time to find most of my pics. I'm...
Julia NY
Pink Daylily questions
I was given a bunch of the orange daylilies (last year)...
srks72
A Beautiful Spring Day Today
It is typical Alabama weather. Today was mid 70s,...
organic_kitten
photo of cool blue daylily
Does anyone have a picture of Petit's Cool Blue daylily...
pink_petals
Question About Seed Sprouting
I was throwing out some old seed packets that were...
alameda/zone 8
Sponsored Products
LEDme 2-Light Light Bar by WAC Lighting
$94.50 | Lumens
Kasbah Wall Medallion - Set of 3
$79.99 | Dot & Bo
5' Red Cedar American Sweetheart Garden Bench
Fifthroom.com
Floral Hammered Copper Hose Pot with Lid
Signature Hardware
nuLOOM Indoor/ Outdoor Floral Fancy Porch Rug (8' x 10')
Overstock.com
30" Round Sandstone Outdoor Stone Pool or Pond Fountain
Lamps Plus
Area Rug: Cypress Tobacco 5' 3" x 7' 2" Contemporary
Home Depot
Cambridge Etched Lamp
$249.90 | Horchow
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™