Trimming of large grasses

katskan41April 4, 2009

Hi all. We have some very large ornamental grasses, not sure what species. It grows very tall (10 feet) and has dense and thick, bamboo-like stalks.

Any suggestions on the best way to cut these down? I've used pruners but that is a lot of work. Was thinking of using a machete or similar tool.

Thanks.

Dave

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donn_(7b-8a)

Rent a good gasoline powered hedge trimmer. It's like a chain saw motor with a hedge trimmer blade. A good quality (Echo) 20-24" trimmer will make fast work of any grass, but unless you have lots of grasses and hedges to trim, you probably can't justify the $300+ cost of purchase.

There are other, multi-use tools which can include a trimmer blade, which may be easier to justify owning, as you can use them for more than one task.

Bookmark   April 4, 2009 at 12:54PM
grass_guy

I've been able to cut my large miscanthus clumps with an electric hedge trimmer. I just work around the outer edge, removing canes as I cut toward the center. Sharp blade is key...and keep the cord out of the way!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cutting Back Ornamental Grasses

Bookmark   April 6, 2009 at 11:55AM
katskan41

I'd like to thank both donn and grass guy for their suggestions. My wife and I were able to cut down our grasses with an electric hedge trimmer. This worked very well. We used a bungee cord to tie up the grasses and hold them together then used the trimmer at the base. Took some time to cut down the largest grasses but it worked!

Thanks again for the great idea.

Bookmark   April 11, 2009 at 7:57AM
grass_guy

Now that you've cut them back, be sure to clean the crown of debris that can cause rot. Rake through with a stiff metal rake.

Sounds like you managed to avoid the cord while trimming...I won't go into why I mention that...:)

Bookmark   April 11, 2009 at 8:57AM
sophie12(4)

I know your done with this task, but.........I use my electic chain saw on them, the bungee cord works really good to keep them in a nice thigt bunch doesn't it?

Bookmark   April 18, 2009 at 7:08PM
More Discussions
Can anyone ID the plant
I saw a beautiful grass outside a mall. Does anyone...
Chipeony
Fall Planting?
I was told that its much better to plant OG in the...
juniemarie46
Carex Comans 'Frosty Curls' turning brown yellow
I have searched a bit on this subject and have not...
ersh
The reddest Panicum virgatum
I would like to add one of those Panicum virgatums...
wannabeGardnr
Propagation of Nassella laevissima "Golden Hair Grass" from seed?
I posted on this plant back on July 8 in the "Growing...
mark4321_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™