Ornamental Grasses - Newbie

Irisheye1April 8, 2013

Hi...we moved into a house last Fall that has several ornamental grass plantings. They were very tall (6-8 feet) and we did not trim them until Early March. I am not sure exactly what the plants are (picture attached), but they had blooms in the fall and have some very thick stalks in addition to the foilage. We only trimmed them down to 3 ft. tall or so and I seem to be reading that we should trim them down further. Since it is early April now, I am wondering what to do? Trim them down? Leave them alone? I see little or no green growth at this time--St. Louis area. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
achnatherum(z4or3 Ontario)

It looks like you are still in time to cut your grasses back to a more ideal height. Trim back to about 6 inches or ..... just above any new green growth so that you are not cutting into the new shoots. You could leave them just the way there are but they won't be nearly as pretty.
A.

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 2:44PM
Irisheye1

Thanks for the quick reply..I will cut them back to the desired level. Any guess as to what these grasses are?

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 5:00PM
donn_(7b-8a)

They look like Miscanthus sinensis; one of the thin-bladed cultivars. Use Google Images to see if they look like your plants did when they were in bloom.

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 5:18PM
More Discussions
Carex Comans 'Frosty Curls' turning brown yellow
I have searched a bit on this subject and have not...
ersh
Can anyone ID the plant
I saw a beautiful grass outside a mall. Does anyone...
Chipeony
established Pampus grass dead
hi, about 7 years ago i planted Pampas grass, and it...
bella81762
Beach grasses great online/cataloge companies
We need to landscape our home in a beach community...
dis2cruise
Splitting my Maiden Grass
I plan on splitting my grass in the spring. When is...
purpleshovel
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™