Ideas for GC under sweet gum w/exposed roots?

faerybutterflye(7B OK)April 26, 2013

Hi folks, we just moved to a new house with a huge sweet gum tree in the front yard. I love the shade, but man, the roots are exposed so badly! I'm looking for ideas for a ground cover to spread rapidly to cover the base of the tree & the shady section of the yard underneath it. The roots are so exposed that the soil is very shallow, so how would that factor into your choice? Any ideas?

My mom has some Commelina cyanea with the blue flowers & I was considering taking cuttings off that.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bmoo(z6 NJ)

I realize this post was a while ago, but I just saw it today. Anyway, if you're still looking for answers, we had a similar issue, although our tree was surrounded by grass. The roots came up just like your photo, making mowing a real headache.

Last fall we had a bunch of landscaping done and the solution for this problem was to add a couple of inches of top soil and plant ground cover in that. We had a whole bunch of vinca that we needed to move from another bed so that's what we put in. It seems to be settling in nicely.

From what we learned at that time, the key point is to cover the roots by no more than 2 inches of soil but that adding that amount should be okay. You might want to verify that advice yourself, but so far (10 months later) tree and vinca seem to be doing fine.

Bookmark   June 5, 2013 at 6:06PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
edlincoln(6A)

Covering a tree with more dirt is dangerous. Don't surround the trunk with dirt! That would make it rot.

Moss likes shallow dirt. Clover makes fertilizer, so there would be an added benefit to planting that.

Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 1:16AM
More Discussions
Surprising Ajuga Findings and Questions
Just thought I'd share something I discovered about...
MisterLeadFoot_Z9
Adding Groundcovers to a mulched garden?
I am looking at adding some groundcovers to my gardens...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
replacing sod with Dwarf Jasmine
My septic mound is currently covered with Dwarf Jasmine...
dseeds
Recommendation for a Simple Groundcover for Rain Garden
We have a "rain garden" out front of our...
cdcd33
Dichondra - next to lawn, grow from seed, watering needs
Hello, I want to change the subject of the posting...
kwoksmusic
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™