How can you tell?

daikon_tomatoJune 19, 2007

I have these four muskmelons abundant with flowers but they keep dropping off and no melon! I was thinking about helping the boy flowers find the girl flowers with a little paint brush but the problem is I can't tell the difference between the two. I know with squashes, the female flower has a bulb underneath the flower but it doesn't seem to be the case form cantelopes. Also they ALL seem to be either the female. How can I help the process a little bit? I know that technically muskmelons are a fruit but I figure you guys must be familiar with the male/female flower issue.

Thanks

Roger

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marrowman

Muskmelons ar a bit unusual - they bear some flowers with both male and female parts (called perfect flowers), and some with only pollen-producing male parts (called pistillate flowers).

The fruit develop from the perfect flowers only, and there is a visible immature ovary just below the flower (it's quite small).

Usually the male flowers start blooming a while before the perfect flowers - wait a while and you should see them begin to come through.

Bookmark   June 21, 2007 at 5:29PM
More Discussions
Pie off between Baby Blue Hubbard and Winter Luxury Pie Pumpkin
We made pies from both squashes and the family decided...
springtogarden
Palav Kadoo
Cucurbita moschata 'Palav Kadoo' was developed in central...
acorneti
Blue Gyroscope
Cucurbita maxima 'Blue Gyroscope' is a cross with mother...
acorneti
Splendid SquashSwap...What are you growing this year?
Hi guys! I am hosting a pumpkin and squash seed swap!...
fresc1000
New England Orange Hubbard Pumpkin
When a New England Blue Hubbard Squash is pollinated...
acorneti
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™