How can you tell?

daikon_tomatoJune 19, 2007

I have these four muskmelons abundant with flowers but they keep dropping off and no melon! I was thinking about helping the boy flowers find the girl flowers with a little paint brush but the problem is I can't tell the difference between the two. I know with squashes, the female flower has a bulb underneath the flower but it doesn't seem to be the case form cantelopes. Also they ALL seem to be either the female. How can I help the process a little bit? I know that technically muskmelons are a fruit but I figure you guys must be familiar with the male/female flower issue.

Thanks

Roger

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marrowman

Muskmelons ar a bit unusual - they bear some flowers with both male and female parts (called perfect flowers), and some with only pollen-producing male parts (called pistillate flowers).

The fruit develop from the perfect flowers only, and there is a visible immature ovary just below the flower (it's quite small).

Usually the male flowers start blooming a while before the perfect flowers - wait a while and you should see them begin to come through.

Bookmark   June 21, 2007 at 5:29PM
More Discussions
Best way to weatherproof birdhouse gourd?
I made some birdhouses from gourds 2 years ago. Made...
sandlady
Is There A Black Pumpkin?
I'll say up front I'm fairly sure the answer is "No,...
Edymnion
This year's winter squash winners and losers
This year I tried the following C Maxima squashes....
tcstoehr
Lloyd-ellipsoid
It's hard to grow C. moschata in hardiness Zone 6,...
acorneti
Will this ever result in an actual pumpkin?
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie. I experimented with planting...
stephiepoopy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™