Favorite Book Recommendation

nwgatreasures(7)June 6, 2010

I've just spent the past 3 days sitting in my new backyard swing escaping into 10 landscaping books that I picked up from a used book store.

What heaven. What plans. What dreams. What a beautiful world God created for us to enjoy and develop.

It got me to thinking, is there a landscaping book on your shelf that you wouldn't want to do without?

I'd like to know which ones are your favorites.

Thanks,

Dora

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kaja

My very favorite is Gaia's Garden, and my next favorite is Bringing Nature Home.

Bookmark   June 7, 2010 at 8:53AM
mk87

Southern Living Garden Book -- love it. I need to buy myself a new copy because I'll often bring it on nursery trips, to look up info on plants with which I'm unfamiliar. My current copy is getting pretty dog-eared.

Bookmark   June 7, 2010 at 12:51PM
girlgroupgirl(8 ATL)

I have an entire book shelf - floor to ceiling of my favorites. Elizabeth Lawrence is the author for Southern charming, old-fashioned reading. I also LOVE love love Joanne Gardener.

Bookmark   June 7, 2010 at 10:26PM
ilikemud_2007

- Seed Folks by Paul Fleischman. It's about gardens and gardeners. You'll laugh you'll cry you will read it again and again (it's short).

Bookmark   June 8, 2010 at 11:15AM
organic_gardenhag(7)

There are so many that I have, for so many different aspects of gardening, I can't name one, I would still buy more, and would not give up one. I don't read novels. I enjoy :reading memoirs of gardeners, any garden how to- plants/hardscape/etc, flipping through any garden reference book of plants with pictures and care and propogating details, my father's old garden encyclopedias, and most any garden magazine. I have picked up many books at Borders for $2.99-$6.99, that are staples, but one I really love is Color Your Garden. It's still packed, so don't remember the author, but think she's in England. I do love books about English style gardening, because it covers so many of my favorite things. Aromatics, herbs and uses, knot gardens, cottage gardens, topiaries, the potager, and rustic, eclectic styles. I guess I really don't know what defines Southern gardening, or even Soutern Living magazine, I'll have to look into it since I am in the South now.

Bookmark   June 8, 2010 at 2:03PM
trivedi_south(8)

I have paid ton of library fine on Jerry Baker's "Giant book of Garden Solitions" and love both his books that library has.

Another book that I totally loved was encyclopedia(sp?) on gardening. It took each and every plant/fruit/vegetable and wrote in great detail about it...growing conditions...what it likes...etc. LOVED it.

I still think Jerry baker is the best. Which author would advise putting your dog food as manure? LOL

Thx

Bookmark   June 10, 2010 at 10:35PM
nwgatreasures(7)

I got some of Jerry's books a few years ago as a PBS gift with pledge. They are full of useful information that we've used :)

Dora

Bookmark   June 11, 2010 at 6:50AM
botanicat

Garden Bulbs For the South by Scott Ogden is one of my favorites. It has lovely photos and is interesting reading.

Bookmark   June 11, 2010 at 8:11AM
esh_ga

I like an old one: "Landscaping with Nature" by Jeff Cox. I think I got it used on Amazon Marketplace.

And of course "Bringing Nature Home" is one of my favorites in recent years. Here is an article by the same author.

Here is a link that might be useful: Article

Bookmark   June 11, 2010 at 9:20AM
More Discussions
Where should I plant a fatsia japonica?
Other than, in a milder climate. I've had it in a pot...
esga
have: have: composted horse manure
I have composted horse manure on my farm, looking to...
horsecompost
have: lime tree - free to good home!
I have an unknown type of lime tree (not a dwarf) planted...
alison234
Native shade plant recommendations
I live just north of Atlanta and am looking for recommendations...
atrox
Insured Tree Removal Cmp recommendations
Is there a good INSURED & reasonable tree removal...
vnginger
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™