Small Grass Suggestions....

WAYNE_RApril 12, 2008

Looking for a grass to plant between a 4x4 mailbox post and the street. Area of space a little more than one foot square. I have three of these locations between my house and my brother-in-law who lives next door - mailboxes are at least 15 feet apart.

Around my mailbox I planted Carex flagellifera 'Toffee Twist' - Toffee Twist Sedge. Hemerocallis 'Green Flutter' daylilies are planted on each side of the mailbox, with annuals planted oposite the Toffee Twist Sedge.

Around my brother-in-law's mail box I planted Elijah Blue Fescue with Stella de Oro Daylilies on either side. Again, annuals are planted opposite the Elijah Blue Fescue.

This year I want to complete the third mailbox. Looking for grass that is different and will tolerate the conditions of being planted on the west facing side of the house.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Wayne R

Greenwood In

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grass_guy

How about Miscanthus sinensis 'Little Kitten' or Miscanthus sinensis 'Stardust'? Both are really nice compact miscanthus varieties.

Bookmark   April 13, 2008 at 6:14PM
prairiegirlz5

Pennisetum alopecuroides 'Little Bunny' fountain grass. Looks like a pussy willow grass, if that makes sense.

Bookmark   April 14, 2008 at 4:49PM
grass_guy

Little Bunny would be a good choice as far as height. Watch out though, you are in zone 5, which is very borderline for many alopecuroides varieties. Most are listed as zone 6, but will sometimes survive in zone 5. Just be aware of the potential for loss.

Bookmark   April 14, 2008 at 8:54PM
dawgie(z7NC)

Little Kitten will actually grow quite large. Mine have gotten as large is 3' tall and across. Check out Prairie Dropseed, Sporobolus heterolepis. This has become my favorite ornamental grass -- it's fine bladed with a weeping form. Blue fescue, Little Bunny or Hamelyn would be my other suggestions.

Bookmark   April 16, 2008 at 11:46AM
More Discussions
have: variegated "peppermint stick" giant reed grass / arundo do
I have many rhizomes I can trade. This one seems to...
risinsun
Beach grasses great online/cataloge companies
We need to landscape our home in a beach community...
dis2cruise
Miscanthus sinensis Advice
Hello, I want to plant some Miscanthus grass on the...
nick0001
Best time to cut grasses back in my zone 9
I recently moved to the San Francisco Peninsula Zone...
kmoodymz3
Maiden grass
Is maiden grass too invasive to be nearby a septic...
nancy0852
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™