where to buy sweet potatoes?

ChoosymotherJune 19, 2014

Hi Everybody!

I'm a little late in my planting and I can't seem to find sweet potatoes anywhere....

I've tried around Buford, and I could easily go to Lawrenceville.

Has anybody noticed any for sale in the nurseries?

HD and Lowes aren't carrying them anymore this season, and neither are a couple of local nursuries.

I'm so disappointed but then again, it's an opportunity to grow some winter squashes this year.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thatcompostguy

You'd probably have to mail order them at this point. NC growers were late this year getting their slips started because of the cold winter. That's where my guy gets his. But LA growers might be out by now since they might have been able to start earlier.

I know Park Seed sells them. or at least they resell them from someone else.

They take 90 to 100 days to grow to full size. You might still have time to grow them. They might not be quite as large as they would be otherwise.

Bookmark   June 23, 2014 at 8:10AM
Sephymuffins(7)

Hey!

For the record, they're REALLY easy to sprout at home. Buy yourself some toothpicks, some disposable plastic cups and a few sweet potatoes.

Slice the bottom of the sweet potato at an angle so some of the flesh on the inside is exposed. Stick a few toothpicks in it so that when you fill the cut with water half-way and submerge the potato, it doesn't sink (the toothpicks are basically holding the potato in place in the cup). Place the potato somewhere that's warm and sunny, wait a few weeks. The potato will start to grow roots and soon a shoot will protrude out the top.

:)

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 10:04PM
zzackey(8b GA)

I grew all of my sweet potatoes from cuttings this year. They growing like weeds!

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 2:53PM
More Discussions
winter veggies in straw bale garden?
I have used the straw bale gardening method in spots...
katy_bug
pomegranates
UGA's website said that most named pomegranates do...
esthermgr
Dracaena Massangeana - leaves are turning yellow and then brown!!
Hello, I bought a Dracaena Massangeana plant about...
daniel159
Houston triumph tulips
Hi. In georgia, what month do Houston Triumph Tulips...
tulipwedding
Lake hartwell
Does anyone live on or near the lake? My husband saw...
josephene_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™