photos of grass gardens?

meredith77(5)April 25, 2006

Would anybody be willing to share some photos of your grasses and how you've used them in the garden? I have a load of them coming in a few weeks and I'm a beginner...sorta lost on how to create an appealing space with them. Or, perhaps there's already place on the website here where people have posted photos? New to the site so I'm still unfamiliar. Thanks :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pezhead

I suggest investing in one or more of Piet Oudolff"s books -- Gardening With Grasses, Dream Plants for the Natural Garden being a couple wonderful ones with superb examples of many plant combos -- including many grasses.

Bookmark   April 26, 2006 at 12:07AM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

I don't know how to post pics on Garden Web but will say that I've stuck grasses all over my yard. They are in all of the flowerbeds which are all mixed borders with trees, shrubs, perennials, bulbs and grasses. I don't have any section that is just grasses but do have about twenty different species of grass on my small city lot. There is a grass that will combine well with just about everything.

Bookmark   April 29, 2006 at 6:25PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

In this thread a few pages back is a link to some gorgeous pics of a garden with lots of grasses. Truly a stunning garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Another thread from this forum

Bookmark   April 29, 2006 at 7:03PM
weedwoman(z6 NJ)

Somewhat on this subject, I saw some pictures of a grass garden in suburban Virginia (I think) that I'd love to find again.

It was in a sort of upscale subdivision, and the designer had basically planted a wheat field in their front yard, they were probably Pennisetums or something, but they definitely gave that 'waving fields of grain' feeling. I think there was a pair of ornamental plums in the center of the grasses, and around the walkways into the house were Sedum 'Autumn Joy' and a couple other similar things. There might have been a narrow border of lawn around the edge of the yard. It was stunning - totally unexpected but formal enough to fit in the setting, and very pretty. I've looked through every grass book I have trying to find pictures of it again, and I can't, so maybe it was in one of the gardening magazines instead. Does anybody else remember seeing this?

WW

Bookmark   May 2, 2006 at 12:25AM
blackie57(z5 NY Broome Co)

These's are photos from last year early but hopefully some of these will give you some idea's. Please feel free to email me as well if you need any help. I have quite a few different grasses in my beds, and have created two new ones starting last fall and moved 4 grasses into various positions in the new beds last week. BIG WORK to say the least. But I believe the finished product will be well worth it.

Blackie

Here is a link that might be useful: Blackie's Gardens

Bookmark   May 3, 2006 at 9:41AM
wangshan(Z5 usa MW)

Hi I'm new here. But here are some pics from last year also.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   May 7, 2006 at 9:27AM
More Discussions
Beach grasses great online/cataloge companies
We need to landscape our home in a beach community...
dis2cruise
Looking for ornamental grass
Would like to start some ornamental grass plugs or...
mkkram
Miscanthus blight?
A few months ago I got some Miscanthis Hinjo at Lowes...
summer99
Splitting my Maiden Grass
I plan on splitting my grass in the spring. When is...
purpleshovel
Panicum 'Hot Rod'
Does anyone know where this is available online for...
jscaldwell
Sponsored Products
Zen Garden Post Light by Kichler
$203.80 | Lumens
Planterworx Home Element Planter - 16L x 44W x 16H in. - PW-E44-SILVER
$350.92 | Hayneedle
Keter Patio Bars 7.5 Gal. Rattan Cool Patio Bar Table 218305
$89.00 | Home Depot
Oversized Planter
$450.00 | Horchow
4' Red Cedar Classic Fanback Garden Bench
Fifthroom.com