royal empress tree

Carmie72(8)June 11, 2014

I planted royal empress tree seedlings about 3 to 3 1/2 weeks ago. How long before it will begin to grow, or do anything?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esh_ga

You shouldn't plant them at all. They are invasive in Georgia.

Here is a link that might be useful: Invasive info

Bookmark   June 11, 2014 at 10:31PM
danita

I hate to say it, Carmie, but Esh is right. They are weedy & trashy trees. They reseed like mad. There aren't any mature trees immediately near me but I still fight the pesky & fast-growing seedlings. They also have weak wood and can fall apart when they get large, which is particularly bad if it's near your house. I'd recommend returning the plants to the place where you bought them if possible. Sorry for the bad news, but welcome to Gardenweb! :)

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 3:06AM
rosajoe_gw(8)

I don't have problems with mine and this is what I was told by a nursery owner.
'This yearâÂÂs Empress Trees are in short supply. Recent publicity and recommendations from TV shows like Oprah have fueled demand.

Just beware that not all Empress Trees are the same. Some nurseries use wild seed that doesn't grow as quickly and can be invasive. Others use growth inhibitors to keep their trees smaller for shipping. This can stay in the tree for several months, giving you disappointing results.

Fast Growing Trees Nursery uses proven stock that's non-invasive, faster growing, and hardier... your tree arrives ready for explosive growth.'

Here is a link that might be useful: royalempresstree

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 6:10PM
esh_ga

Yeah, there's no such thing as a non-invasive one. Anyone trying to tell you that is pulling one over on you. Especially a nursery looking to sell you something!

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 9:28PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

Rosajoe wrote, "Fast Growing Trees Nursery uses proven stock that's non-invasive, faster growing, and hardier... your tree arrives ready for explosive growth."

That is one more load of poop! If you believe that Rosajoe, I have a bridge with your name on it!

Bookmark   June 15, 2014 at 9:59PM
More Discussions
Native shade plant recommendations
I live just north of Atlanta and am looking for recommendations...
atrox
Where to find African Violets in Atlanta
Does anyone that uses this forum know a nursery in...
frankielynnsie
Camellia sinensis
"Camellia Sinensis" Tolerates more sun than...
girlgroupgirl
Is anyone using rock dust in the garden?
I learned about rock dust a few days ago and I want...
kngskid
Plumerias
Would anyone like some plumeria trees. I post this...
ricky_23
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™