Will certain groundcovers creep over mulch?

court623May 20, 2010

We are transplanting some carpet-like groundcovers from a friend of ours who is getting rid of a flower garden. We've transplanted some Blue Star Creeper, Creeping Phlox and Yellow Ice Plant (Delosperma nubigenum). We have mulched our beds...will these continue to creep?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
laceyvail(6A, WV)

Every groundcover I've ever used creeps over mulch--Delosperma, several varieties of Geranium macrorhizum, Rubus Calycinoides, Arctostaphylos uva--ursi, Yellow creeping Jenny, a number of sedums, creeping thymes, etc.

Bookmark   May 21, 2010 at 5:58AM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

The only groundcover I've had problems with as far as mulch goes is ajuga. Get any on the crown and it rots out.

I have had issues with blue star creeper climbing up into heathers and dwarf conifers and causing damage. Really like it otherwise....

Bookmark   May 30, 2010 at 8:41PM
susana_2006

All of my groundcovers creep on top of mulch. (I think they like it). It's not a problem to remove them and to root the little plants elsewhere or to give them away. I think that the mulch holds moisture & drains well & gives the creeping plants a good surface to spread on.
Susan

Bookmark   July 18, 2010 at 4:52PM
bogturtle(SE NJ 7a)

I agree. Most seem to creep over mulch. One plant, amazingly low, perhaps invasive, only briefly flowering, and evergreen, in zone 7, is Mazus repens. I only grow the white form, but the pale pink-purple sort is more easily found.

Bookmark   July 29, 2010 at 5:12PM
More Discussions
ajuga over Daffodil bulbs?
I am getting conflicting information about whether...
pink_petals
Adding Groundcovers to a mulched garden?
I am looking at adding some groundcovers to my gardens...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
Dichondra - next to lawn, grow from seed, watering needs
Hello, I want to change the subject of the posting...
kwoksmusic
Ground Cover for Moist Shade?
Hello, I'm having trouble finding the right plant for...
rwhipple08
Baltic Ivy on stone wall
We have a stone house and think it would look really...
justeen_bonsai
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™