how does creeping phlox spread/create new growth?

adk13(5)May 24, 2007

I bought some of the blue/purple creeping phlox. It is so small right now. All the flowers fell off during transplant. I planted it in the front yard garden area, which as felt down, then river rock. I cut a portion of the felt and moved the rocks. I am wondering...will the phlox only creep if it can come up from the ground or does it grow bigger from the current stems? (if that makes sense)....meaning am I going to have to move more rock and cut out the felt or will the phlox grow along the rocks, even though it can't root in the ground because of the felt? Thanks for any help/info!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac(Iowa Z 5/4)

It expands in mass at the base the stem...It won't do that in that weed cloth and river rock.
In fact nothing much will do worth a darn in that combination for very long at all.
My advice and the advice of many many gardeners is get rid of that felt stuff and the rock and mulch with organic matter...wood chips, sawdust. cocoa bean shells pine needles or whatever else you like...but the purpose of a mulch is to keep the soil cool and moist and rocks get very very hot and there is no exchange of air beneath that fabric stuff, no worms no composting of mulch going on and eventually the fabric will become full of silt and you will have a garden that can't get water, so the roots of your plants will grow on top of the fabric....and all the bits and pieces of stuff that falls will create a layer beneath the rocks....and in spite of it all you will get weeds growing in the rock.
Ask me how I know!!!
Sorry about the rant...but I spent a lot of time helping my daughter get some plantings in shape that had that stuff down for about 6 years before they bought the house. Lots of grunt labor, but we did it. Then they had another child and moved....and guess what!? There was more of that stuff in the new house...but this time it had bind weed growing in the fabric itself.
Linda C

Bookmark   May 26, 2007 at 10:44PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hollandgirl49424

I planted candy stripe subulata phlox last year, AND this year on the west side of a very tall oak tree. I have created a raised bed around it and thought this would be the perfect plant to fill in the crevices. I have put in good dirt, mulched, planted my phlox, used Miracle Grow quick start, watered frequently and they are dying....again. I don't get it, they are supposed to LIKE the sun and they die. I did buy them in large pots from a good local greenhouse and divided them into 3x3 sections so they would spread...perhaps that's the issue? I am frustrated that my phlox won't grow. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what this newbie is doing wrong?

Bookmark   June 5, 2007 at 1:30AM
More Discussions
Need to remove creeping juniper
Dear friends, HELP! My house is surrounded by creeping...
murray_dog
liriope big blue question...
I am confused about liriope. I have a huge steep hill...
bgaviator
Where to buy Pachysandra?
Hi All, I need some Pachysandra, does anyone know if...
walksindarkness
Ground Cover for Moist Shade?
Hello, I'm having trouble finding the right plant for...
rwhipple08
Dichondra - next to lawn, grow from seed, watering needs
Hello, I want to change the subject of the posting...
kwoksmusic
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™