Crabgrass Problem

DanR33June 8, 2013

First time poster who has develop a little crabgrass problem in my bermuda yard. From what I have read, crabgrass loves moisture, and this problem has most likely popped up because of having heavy rain for the past few days. My yard has not been overtaken by crabgrass, but there are multiple problem spots. What is the best way to approach this issue? I plan on using a crabgrass pre-emergent when pre-emergent season approaches, but what should I do in the meantime? Is there a spray that can be used for spot treatment? Thanks in advance for the help. I am a younger first-time home owner and I am trying my best to understand the complex world of lawn management.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esh_ga

Hand pulling would be very effective. Crabgrass is an annual grass so once you pull it, it's gone (be sure you get the whole plant). Make sure any that you have doesn't go to seed (next year's problem).

Bookmark   June 9, 2013 at 1:27PM
DanR33

Thanks for the advice. One more question, how do I make sure that it does not go to seed?

Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 9:53PM
esh_ga

For the most part, keep your lawn mowed, especially in the summer when it starts to put out its flowers (which then turn into seeds after they are pollinated by the wind).

As you wander around the yard, pull any one that you see (or as many as you can), especially the ones that appear to be putting out the flower structure.

Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 7:05AM
rosiew(8 GA)

Esh's advice is dead on right. It's fairly shallow rooted, at least early in the season and so easy to spot even tiny ones amid Bermuda. No need for chemicals.

HTH

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 6:22PM
DanR33

Thanks to everyone for all of the feedback. I have started to walk my yard daily and spend some time pulling the crabgrass. I am seeing more and more small areas where it is now popping up so it may be more of a job than I was anticipating, but hopefully working on it every day I will soon be able to get a good grasp on the problem. I have also started to mow my lawn at the highest setting in order to hopefully shade out future growth.

One more question, in some of the areas the crabgrass has already choked out some of the bermuda, would it be beneficial for me to go behind after pulling the crabgrass and plant some bermuda seeds?

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 9:09PM
rosiew(8 GA)

Dan, first, no need to reseed, IMO. Bermuda spreads like crazy. And you'd have to mark all areas which you seeded so you could water them to get germination. Not worth it.

Crabgrass will continue to pop up, but probably only this year because YOU are going to rogue all of it out so none can reseed.

Keep up the good work.

Rosie

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 6:29AM
More Discussions
Dracaena Massangeana - leaves are turning yellow and then brown!!
Hello, I bought a Dracaena Massangeana plant about...
daniel159
N. Ga. Mountain region
We've purchased a home with what appear to be 6 established...
eagleap_gw Zone 10
Shade Garden Ideas Help
I am renting a townhouse that has a 4X4 foot square...
jerseygarden123
Pomegranate tree
Will a pomegranate tree grow amd produce fruit in GA?...
natalie4b
Plumerias
Would anyone like some plumeria trees. I post this...
ricky_23
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™