Mystery Squash - Can someone ID this?

Becca.916June 26, 2013

This is from a summer squash mix! I have a ton of squash (winter and summer) growing in my garden, so this is probably a cross pollinated squash, but I also have pumpkins growing in my garden and this thing looks just like a pumpkin! Has anyone ever seen this kind before? It is vining all over the garden - but I swear its NOT a pumpkin.. hope to hear from someone! Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
planetes(7b (Cascadia - PNW))

Just as an observation, the difference between a winter squash and a pumpkin is.. well.. nada. We call some winter squash pumpkins because they're orange or it's tradition. Not because there is any culinary or botanical difference (there's neither).

Now, to answer your original question it could be a hybrid. were the seeds ones you saved or volunteers or were they newly purchased?

The shape looks similar to a buttercup some varieties but it's not something I recognize.

Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 1:10AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weirdtrev

Whatever it is, it was not mature when you picked it. Mature squash lack the high gloss you can see on developing squash. If it is vining there is a good chance that it is a winter squash, and it is unlikely that is the mature color. Let the rest grow to maturity. My guess is some sort of C. maxima winter squash/pumpkin since they have many varieties that start off yellow. If you know what varieties you planted we can can probably tell you what it is.

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 11:12AM
More Discussions
? for birdhouse gourd expert growers
Just for giggles I bought a $2 pack of birdhouse gourd...
donnywayne1
Squash varities
Hi! I've never cared much for squash, mostly due to...
HollowOakFarm
Please help ID the problem
This year my kabocha bears 5 fruits but one by one,...
otcay
New England Orange Hubbard Pumpkin
When a New England Blue Hubbard Squash is pollinated...
acorneti
Best way to weatherproof birdhouse gourd?
I made some birdhouses from gourds 2 years ago. Made...
sandlady
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™