Tall grass for mostly shade?

tjsangel(z5 OH)April 27, 2006

Hi,

I have a large area where my bird feeder use to be that's in sun before the tree leafs out. Then it gets a few hrs of afternoon sun only. It's very moist and the soil is good. What grass would do well here? I'd like something that gets at least 4 feet tall. Thanks!

Jen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pezhead

Try bamboo maybe, but install a barrier underground. The conditions you describe do not suit many other grasses. Chasmanthium latifolium (Northern Sea Oats) might work but really only gets 3 feet tall as far as I know. Perhaps one of the grass experts who ply this cyberspace will come up with better options for you.

Bookmark   April 28, 2006 at 1:23AM
dawgie(z7NC)

Chasmanthium latifolium will grow close to the height you are seeking, and has a nice upright habit. It almost looks like a bamboo. Mine are planted on the west side of my house where they only get about 2-3 hours of direct sun each day, and they have thrived. Height is at least 3' tall by midsummer.

Bookmark   April 28, 2006 at 9:47AM
Pudge 2b

I have Calamagrostis brachytricha growing in quite a shady spot and it does well.

Bookmark   April 28, 2006 at 11:06PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

I have Miscanthus 'Morning Light' in morning sun only and it does just fine although doesn't bloom much. Your afternoon sun spot might be similar. The leaves are variegated so I don't care if it blooms. It does get 4' tall and is not an agressive spreader at all.

Bookmark   April 29, 2006 at 6:02PM
tjsangel(z5 OH)

Thank you everyone! I'm not too crazy about the look of Northern sea oats, but I do like the other two suggestions. : )

Jen

Bookmark   April 29, 2006 at 8:21PM
More Discussions
Looking for Pink Muhly grass
Hi Guys, Popped in to see if anyone had pink muhly...
bri_fl
established Pampus grass dead
hi, about 7 years ago i planted Pampas grass, and it...
bella81762
have: variegated "peppermint stick" giant reed grass / arundo do
I have many rhizomes I can trade. This one seems to...
risinsun
How to maintain this ornemental grass
We have quite a few of these ornamental grasses at...
bgaviator
type of grass?
This is such a pretty grass. Everyone asks what it...
bunky
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™