No Zukes!!!

wv2gaJune 15, 2010

For the past few years my zukes have done quite well (before July started and SVB killed them), this year---nothing, na-da, zippy. Typcially, I picked a number of them per week at this time of year. The plants look healthy and strong with a number of flower buds on them, but nothing is turning into fruit.

I was trying to figure out why. My only conclusions are 1) rabbits/possums/squirells etc, or 2) would sevin dust hurt them (first year using it)?

Any thoughts would be appreciated, I'm very down about this. Just love to fry them or grilled them. But just nothing this year.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
susancol(7 Atlanta)

Are you getting female flowers- with the baby squash behind the flower? It's not uncommon for the first flowers to be all male(no baby squash). If you do have female flowers, then pollination is the issue. Maybe all of the rain and high humidity is affecting natural pollination. You migh try hand pollinating. There are many posts describing the process, if you're not familiar.
Good Luck!
Susan

Bookmark   June 17, 2010 at 10:07AM
wv2ga

I'll do a little homework about pollination. I'm not afraid to admit that part of gardening is over my head, but not at all afraid to learn.

One question, how do you tell a male flower from a female flower? (Yes, I feel like I just set myself up for a bad punch line :-)

Thank you.

Bookmark   June 17, 2010 at 6:56PM
mrs.b_in_wy(5a WY)

Hi wv2ga. I'll leave the bad punch line to the quick, clever members :) Here's a link to a dandy thread on hand pollination, complete with helpful pics. Note how the female flowers have a tiny squash behind the blossom? The male flowers don't have that, erm, pregnant look to them :) Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hand pollination of Squash

Bookmark   June 19, 2010 at 12:25AM
californian

You might have killed the bees with the sevin dust.
Next time plant "Elite" hybrid zucchini, you will have more than you and your neighbors can eat.

Bookmark   July 18, 2010 at 10:43PM
More Discussions
Melon-gresskar 'Mandela'
Cucurbita maximelo "Nelson Mandela's Sun"...
acorneti
This year's winter squash winners and losers
This year I tried the following C Maxima squashes....
tcstoehr
More phloem for more transportation of assimilates
http://environment.harvard.edu/news/faculty-news/biggest-ever-fruit-world-0 Here...
acorneti
How to ammend soil and seed timing
We live on a rocky hillside in Southern California....
Suzi AKA DesertDance
HAVE: Round Robin SquashSwap
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/roundrobin/msg011538403422.html?6...
fresc1000
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™