5-15-5 Fertilizer for Pumpkins

jokuehn(5)June 17, 2013

Hi All,

I read that a good pumpkin fertilizer to start out the growing season is one that is 5-15-5. When I look online, the only fertilizer that I can find with those numbers is used for Palm Trees. I suppose it doesn't matter because the numbers match, it just seems odd.

Has anyone else used this fertilizer? What does everyone else use? Thanks,

Jolene

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gfjbthllr

If im not mistaken my fishbone meal is 5/15/0 is great it has exactly what you want,you can get that other last 5 they suggest by just putting in a 3/4/5 or3/4/6/ or similar does not have to be exactly precise plus you can put some wood ash + and or granite and or basalt dust or sand from a rock quarry at $5 for 5 gallons left over from crushing and cracking there stones this all has the potassium of 3 to 6 percent in it long term put some bagged composted cow manure in it this has alot of the balance you need aswell plus is has the needed healthy microbacterial things in it to break down the npk in the soil to make it available to the plant one big mistake people make is add to much fertilizer when most times there is enough what they do not understand is that the soil needs a healthy bacterial activity to break down what is there to make it available to the plant and to encourage that healthy bacterial count add 1 to 3 tablespoon of molasses to each gallon of water every once in awhile when you water the plants and there is not so expensive organic slow release fertilizers that have these healthy bacteria and healthy fungi infused in it that have a shelf life in that fertilizer for about 2 plus years and great helps the soil to give you great plants what ever they are hope that helped but remember we do not live on vitamin C alone so give your plants a healthy variety of nutrients that are natural as possible and you will do great(P.S.Do not forget add some blood meal they love nitrogen plus periodically water it with a 9 to 1 ratio of milk and water you will do great

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 6:11AM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

That is a bloom booster type, high in Phosphorous. It is good for flowers, but has way TOO MUCH "P" for squash. Another thing is that most soils have more than enough P
( N - P - K)
( 5 -15 -5)

Bookmark   July 6, 2013 at 2:37PM
jokuehn(5)

Thanks for the info!

Bookmark   August 29, 2013 at 10:36AM
More Discussions
Lloyd-ellipsoid
It's hard to grow C. moschata in hardiness Zone 6,...
acorneti
Kirbs Bjela Woda
In 2014 I created my first squash and pumpkins for...
acorneti
Fresh -dried Ugu(Fluted Pumkin leaves,pods,and seeds available
I have ample supplies of ugu leaves and seeds for sale.Please...
cliff-brazil
Nadym pink
C. maxima 'Nadym pink' (Np) is as a sibbling of Nadym...
acorneti
Please help ID the problem
This year my kabocha bears 5 fruits but one by one,...
otcay
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™