Need Help on uneven ground cover growth.

sbeau(7b TX)May 30, 2005

I have vinca under a large old oak. It grows much thicker on the back side of the tree. I think there is more wind hitting the front of the tree and wonder if this is the reason the vinca doesn't grow as well there. The front of the tree has a sourthern exposure, so it gets a little more sunlight, but it's mostly shady under the tree. I have planted Asain Jasmine in the front also thinking this might grow better, but I'm not sure it's helped. After two years the ground cover still looks uneven. Irises, ferns and hostas are also around the tree. The irises have spread more in the area receiving less wind. We're going to have a shed placed in the path of the wind, hoping this will help. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kathy Bochonko

Maybe the wind is drying that area more? You could try giving it more water on that side and maybe fertilizing the one side only for a season or two. That is the thing about plants they decide where they are happy.

Bookmark   May 31, 2005 at 10:24AM
chinacat_sunflower(7)

sounds like it's a combination of things- Kathy's made a good point about the wind drying that side out...

the sun is certainly part of it- everything you listed is a 'part sun' lover- they don't want all sun, all the time- but they want to be close enough to SEE the sun.
if one side gets even five more minutes of sun, the plants will tend to head that way- they are photovores at heart :)

I'd simply move some of the younger 'volunteers' to the shady spot, making up for growth with plant density- or I'd want to put a non-growing THING there- a planter, or a bird feeder, or a statue.

the shed will certainly make a good windblock- though if you're getting consistent winds from one quarter, I'd do a little math to make sure that the tree remains in the 'lee' of the shed, otherwise, you may end up with it sitting in the very spot where the two 'waves' come back together, which will make it even windier in that spot than it was before.

Bookmark   May 31, 2005 at 1:43PM
sbeau(7b TX)

THanks for the suggestions. I have tried more water and the side that has less growth does get more sun. I will try fertilizer next. I can also cut off some of the extra growth on one side and try planting it on the lesser side.
And I will think again about the position of the shed. You may be right about the wind being stronger than ever.
Thanks for the input.

Bookmark   June 1, 2005 at 7:42PM
More Discussions
Advice on transplanting kinnickinick
Hello, I've decided to reduce my slope because it is...
YorkiePooMama
IDing existing garden beds
We moved into this house last fall. Things are growing...
akane
Ground Cover for Moist Shade?
Hello, I'm having trouble finding the right plant for...
rwhipple08
Mini Brass Buttons in Shade
I'm hoping to hear from anyone that has had experience...
bveronico
liriope big blue question...
I am confused about liriope. I have a huge steep hill...
bgaviator
Sponsored Products
Samson 37W x 19D in. Chelsea Solid Surface Single Sink Vanity Top - ITB3719-08-4
$476.99 | Hayneedle
Loveland Indoor Area Rug
Grandin Road
New Unique Lovely Red Heriz Hand Knotted Wool 4' X 6' Persian Oriental Rug H5763
BH Sun Inc
Blossom Beige and Multi-Colored Runner: 2 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rug
$191.95 | Bellacor
Sure Fit Stretch Corduroy Loveseat Slipcover
Overstock.com
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Organica Blue/Natural 3 ft. x 5
Home Depot
Taupe Colored Glass Vessel Sink
MR Direct Sinks and Faucets
WAC Lighting | HR-LED309-RIC - 3 in. LED Remodel IC Housing
$153.00 | YLighting
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™